All right, is there any good 5/16 fuel line anywhere now?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
I wish I could say I had a hose leak on a 426 Hemi, but nope, this was on my 1969 Dart with a 273. Sometime in the last couple of years while the car was getting put back together, I installed new reproduction fuel lines at the engine and new hose sections and a filter. This is the old-style that has the fuel filter in-line above the intake. Metal lines with two short rubber sections on either side of a metal filter. Two spring clamps the way Mopar did it 55 years ago. Shoud be the most leak resistant setup possible.

Nope. I went for pizza tonight and on the way back started smelling gas. Inspected things when i arrived home and gas is dripping out of one of the rubber sections. I see green printing on it which tells me it is Gates fuel-injected "rated" hose. I already learned my lesson about using the pieces of line that come with the Taiwan fuel filter in a Wix box. You might as well dump a couple gallons of high-test on the engine and get it over with.

So, where can I order a supply of ethanol-proof 5/16 fuel line? I am not concerned about the cost. Please don't say Napa. That's the same crap any other parts house sells, you're just paying more for it. Also, at this point I'm wondering about those spring clamps. I've heard anecdotal evidence that they don't even clamp as well as the OG clamps. Maybe I'll go to the junkyard and find some on an old car.

Thanks for any legitimate advice.

I use fuel line for fuel injection no leaks yet. But my rolls are USA made. Or i just plumb with AN with #4 or #6 braided.
Army/Navy incase ya ever wondered what AN name came from. It does come in black and black fittings.
On one car cut and flanged the metal line so i could put a fitting, it was over kill

Oh and almost everything is crap now. Thanks China.

I think you mean fuel HOSE when you're calling it "LINE". Line is normally hard metal line out of steel, copper or aluminum. Also, ALL of the Gates Barricade hose has green type on it, whether it's the fuel injection hose or the the ethanol resistant hose. The standard Gates fuel hose has white writing. Does it SAY rated for fuel injection, or did you just assume because of the green type? They may have had some bad runs. Usually that Barricade hose is good stuff.

Heres hose clamps, designed for FI?

20230716_232836.jpg

20230716_232824.jpg

Actually, the last NAPA filter I put on had GREAT squeeze-style clamps, better than any I've ever put on before. They had a good bit of tension, and were actually tough to keep open with plain pliers, they did not deform or stay spread after getting them over the "hump". I also added a donut-style trans magnet to trap rust fines on the inlet side.

20230515_104735.jpg

I had the same issue, new filter, OEM style hose clamps, new hose, new metal lines.

Leaked bad. I replaced the OEM style with Corbin wire clamps like the rad hoses, not a drop.

Had good luck with the Holley Vapor Guard and the type of clamps they recomend.

I'm in agreement regarding fuel hose and clamps available these days but the link for aircraft spruce is not for fuel hose. Went to website and found specific hose for fuel.

Parker Super-Flex 397 Series Fuel Line Hose | Aircraft Spruce
MIL6000 hose can be used for fuel (100LL AVgas) MIL-H-6000 can withstand both high and low temperatures (from -40° to 250°F). It meets or exceeds tough U.S. military specifications in handling the punishing effects of fuel, oil, alcohol, coolant, and water. MIL-H-6000 features an oil resistant tube and is reinforced with a high strength mildew resistant yarn. The seamless compounded inner tube with reinforcement and a protective outer coating prevents tears, sprays and leaks.

I wish I could say I had a hose leak on a 426 Hemi, but nope, this was on my 1969 Dart with a 273. Sometime in the last couple of years while the car was getting put back together, I installed new reproduction fuel lines at the engine and new hose sections and a filter. This is the old-style that has the fuel filter in-line above the intake. Metal lines with two short rubber sections on either side of a metal filter. Two spring clamps the way Mopar did it 55 years ago. Shoud be the most leak resistant setup possible.

Nope. I went for pizza tonight and on the way back started smelling gas. Inspected things when i arrived home and gas is dripping out of one of the rubber sections. I see green printing on it which tells me it is Gates fuel-injected "rated" hose. I already learned my lesson about using the pieces of line that come with the Taiwan fuel filter in a Wix box. You might as well dump a couple gallons of high-test on the engine and get it over with.

So, where can I order a supply of ethanol-proof 5/16 fuel line? I am not concerned about the cost. Please don't say Napa. That's the same crap any other parts house sells, you're just paying more for it. Also, at this point I'm wondering about those spring clamps. I've heard anecdotal evidence that they don't even clamp as well as the OG clamps. Maybe I'll go to the junkyard and find some on an old car.

Thanks for any legitimate advice.
After I had an engine fire in my 69 Charger because the rubber fuel line popped off of the carb inlet nipple, I never used rubber for the pressure side of the pump again. Only braided hose (i.e. Russell) and AN fittings.

-
Back