almost got scammed today

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
ill just come out and say it, they almost got me

i recieved a phone call from someone identifying himself as Jeffrey Jones from a certain county
according to him, i had been invited to jury duty and had failed to appear

as a result i was issued a failure to appear citation and a in contempt of court citation
those two were $3750.00 bond each and i had two options, i could either choose to comply, pick up the bond (in cash) deliver it to a FDIC location where it could be placed in there account and then drive over to the courthouse to finish the paperwork

and man, i fell for it
sure there were red flags but he had an anwser for all of them

luckily, my wife is a terrible driver, so i grabbed a card from the last officer that gave her a citation and called her
she was quite helpful and gave me the local dispatch number for the county the scammer claimed to be from
now, me and the officer i called for help are from a different county then the scammer claimed to be from, but i can see the county line from my front yard, and id be laying if i never had sherriffs from that county visit my humble abode

so, i call local dispatch, and tell them what i am dealing with and that im just not trusting it (but they got my cage rattled so i didnt want to simply ignore it)

the dispatcher asked the name of the deputy supposedly calling me, and sure enough, he works there
and sure enough, he is on duty right now

she puts me on hold, and a few minutes later she comes back and assures me, deputy Jones is not working on any such case

looking back in it, there were a few red flags and im glad i didnt (totally) fall for it, but what got me was they knew my name, and my address (and of course my phone number) and the story they told was not out of the realm of possibility

ill just come out and say it, they almost got me

i recieved a phone call from someone identifying himself as Jeffrey Jones from a certain county
according to him, i had been invited to jury duty and had failed to appear

as a result i was issued a failure to appear citation and a in contempt of court citation
those two were $3750.00 bond each and i had two options, i could either choose to comply, pick up the bond (in cash) deliver it to a FDIC location where it could be placed in there account and then drive over to the courthouse to finish the paperwork

and man, i fell for it
sure there were red flags but he had an anwser for all of them

luckily, my wife is a terrible driver, so i grabbed a card from the last officer that gave her a citation and called her
she was quite helpful and gave me the local dispatch number for the county the scammer claimed to be from
now, me and the officer i called for help are from a different county then the scammer claimed to be from, but i can see the county line from my front yard, and id be laying if i never had sherriffs from that county visit my humble abode

so, i call local dispatch, and tell them what i am dealing with and that im just not trusting it (but they got my cage rattled so i didnt want to simply ignore it)

the dispatcher asked the name of the deputy supposedly calling me, and sure enough, he works there
and sure enough, he is on duty right now

she puts me on hold, and a few minutes later she comes back and assures me, deputy Jones is not working on any such case

looking back in it, there were a few red flags and im glad i didnt (totally) fall for it, but what got me was they knew my name, and my address (and of course my phone number) and the story they told was not out of the realm of possibility
The crooks are getting tricky for sure. Good that you checked it out. I hope they catch the jerk and nail him to a cross!

Whenever I get anything similar to that, I feign phone problems and ask for a number to call. Works every time and it took 60 seconds.

I think it was someone this forum got a similar call except from the "IRS".
He knew it was scam so, he told the person calling, "you can come and get me. Lock and load, baby"!

Scammers are getting bolder. A friend's brother who is in his 70's and lives in a rural area answered a knock at the door. The man said he was from the county and wanted to verify the property lines for an upcoming project. No prob, he took him on a tour of the property lines over 30 acres....as the man's partner cleaned out the house. Thieves and scammers suck

Sadly they do get pretty smart with the scams these days. I’ve almost been had, you know they’re trying for the older crowds.

It is getting worse. Because of sophisticated software, and now A.I., people have already been scammed with faked but real sounding voices of friends or relatives that need bail, kidnapped, etc.

-
Back