alternative engines

-

prrc

Reaction score
Always looking out side the box and this has crossed my mind several times. Being the early A's have such a small engine compartment I was wondering if a say an srt4 from a neon would be an option. Not sure what transmission would work behind the motor. And was also wondering about hp to weight ratio. I have a 360 magnum for my build and will more than likely use it. Has anyone done such a swap or any other alternative engine in the little A bodies.

There are at least two people working on similar swaps here. I'm afraid I don't have links though. I think it's a very cool idea. Great fuel economy with a little kick in the pants to boot. The Srt neon weighs around 2830 depending on a few options.

My wild idea included an Intrepid 3.5 and ALL of the suspension/drivetrain...A few things I never quite got fully thought out, but a FWD A-body with 250hp sounded interesting...

Thanks did a search after I posted.looks like it could be a fairly expensive venture for the 2.4

Thanks did a search after I posted.looks like it could be a fairly expensive venture for the 2.4

Whats expensive? I don't have $1500.00 into my swap

2.4 engine complete with harness an computer
$375.00
jeep liberty bell housing
$80.00
ma5 trans
$350.00
Flywheel
$15.00
420a head
$25.00
turbo and manifold
$50.00
steel oil pan new
$60.00
3/16 steel plate for mount fabrication
$30.00
that totals=$985.00.

That's is cheap. Everything I have found as a complete motor with harness and ecu has been about 1500.

A turbo 4 would be neat. Lookup the "turbo van", a stock minivan that shames Camaro Z's with a 13 sec quarter mile.

That's is cheap. Everything I have found as a complete motor with harness and ecu has been about 1500.

i use sal's exports here in illinois. and they deliver. don't know how far you are from chicago though trans came from LKQ but there are plenty of stratus's and the like. out there to get your donor from

i use sal's exports here in illinois. and they deliver. don't know how far you are from chicago though trans came from LKQ but there are plenty of stratus's and the like. out there to get your donor from
I deal with LQK all the time I'm in indianapolis. I was looking for a complete srt4 yours is not? I have been looking for info on building a 400 hp 2.4 what are your plans for HP for your build. My car is well underway when I had this crazy idea. My build is in my signature. Tim
also any idea of cost for the 904 adaptor you posted.

I deal with LQK all the time I'm in indianapolis. I was looking for a complete srt4 yours is not? I have been looking for info on building a 400 hp 2.4 what are your plans for HP for your build. My car is well underway when I had this crazy idea. My build is in my signature. Tim
also any idea of cost for the 904 adaptor you posted.

talk to tony at dynamic racing. The adapter comes with a special made torque converter. Forcefedmopar bought his from there. I think that will be your expense. For me I would like to have maybe 500 horsepower.

talk to tony at dynamic racing. The adapter comes with a special made torque converter. Forcefedmopar bought his from there. I think that will be your expense. For me I would like to have maybe 500 horsepower.
so will any 2.4 motor work? Then just buy the turbo manifold? Do you own the shop in your signature?

Yes my shop. The 2.4 yes that it will use srt4 pistons need to put in oil return line for turbo.
Small world my shop is in my signature also.this 4 banger thing is all new for me. Not sure how I ever got to this point.LOL.

Small world my shop is in my signature also.this 4 banger thing is all new for me. Not sure how I ever got to this point.LOL.

For me I was on my way to doing the new hemi swap but the fuel numbers kept bothering me. Then this came to mind. And the more I thought about it the more appealing it got

Hey Tim my buddy and I are putting one we got out of a PT cruiser Gt turbo in a small dune buggy. Check some tow yards in your area that's where we found ours for next to nothing. The car rolled 10 times and was nothing left.

Another thing to be aware of is any thing over 2001 will have a tone ring on the crank and a skim or imobilizer for the ignition security

Hey Tim my buddy and I are putting one we got out of a PT cruiser Gt turbo in a small dune buggy. Check some tow yards in your area that's where we found ours for next to nothing. The car rolled 10 times and was nothing left.
Looks like I'm late to the party again. LOL Looks like everyone was on the band wagon but me.

Another thing to be aware of is any thing over 2001 will have a tone ring on the crank and a skim or imobilizer for the ignition security
We have done several LS swaps in my shop, But this is a little out of my norm. So I have some reading to do to catch up on all electronics of this motor. I will assume a tone ring is firing the ignition and the skim is anti theft. Can the ecu be reprogrammed to remove this ? I'm sure it can be done or no one would be doing this swap. Keep the info coming. I have a lot to learn.

If their SKIM is like the one in my 2002 T&C, it can be a major pain. There is a wireless sensor at your key. When it fails, there is no way to start the engine. People swap in an ECU from a non-SKIM van to get it working.

The "tone ring" rotates with the crankshaft and has teeth or slots for the crank sensor. Sometimes it is cast into the crank and sometimes a separate piece. On Mopar Magnum engines and 3.3/3.8L, it is part of the flex-plate (or fly-wheel).

what engine is in the v6 Dakota, that is essentially a 318 with 2 cylinders missing

That is the 3.9, not too great of a performance option as hi po parts are scarce and expensive and being all cast iron, the motor is heavy as hell for the small hp/tq #'s it puts out. Just my opinion, i had a 3.9 dakota so i speak from experience as far as performance upgrades...

Tim there is a company called Flight Systems that will make an ecu to control the perameters of any engine you want. They Tailor it to however you want the engine to function with or without certain doodads. You just tell them what type of engine you have and what accessories you are going to run, be it A/C etc. the built a system for a friend of mine who was running a suburu engine in his airplane and it worked tits.

-
Back