alternator field wires

-

440duster

Reaction score
Does it matter which location the field wires go on the alternator? Can they be reversed? How do they affect the charging system as they both go to the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Sweet. Thanks man. I'm rewiring following Madelectrical's ammeter bypass and fixing a lot of other stuff too. The p.o. twisted and taped a lot of junk together.

Greg

440duster said:
Does it matter which location the field wires go on the alternator? Can they be reversed? How do they affect the charging system as they both go to the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

As others have stated it does not matter which one connects to which.
However, they both DO NOT go to the voltage regulator. One does and the other is switched 12 volts.

Actually they do both go to the voltage regulator. The green wire goes only to the regulator and the blue wire goes to the regulator then is routed to the ballast resistor which is switched.

Mopar charging system schematic #2.jpg

I would contend that the wire goes to the switched 12 volt junktion point at the ballast resistor and splice provides switched 12 volts to the regulator. ;)

I don't have my ballast wired in any more. I have a MP electronic distributor and a MSD 6A system. From what I understood from the MSD instructions the ballast isn't needed anymore. Seems to run great this way. And yes, both my blue and green wires run to the voltage regulator. I also have the wiring diagrams from classiccarwiring.com (great product!). It shows that the blue w/tracer goes from the field to the ballast AND regulator and then brown connects from the regulator, blue, to the other side of the ballast.

Greg

Your right Greg. If your using the MSD you don't need the ballast resistor any more. I wired my 68 Cuda according to the schematic above which is taken from a 70 Charger service manual and it works great.

440duster said:
I don't have my ballast wired in any more. I have a MP electronic distributor and a MSD 6A system. From what I understood from the MSD instructions the ballast isn't needed anymore. Seems to run great this way. And yes, both my blue and green wires run to the voltage regulator. I also have the wiring diagrams from classiccarwiring.com (great product!). It shows that the blue w/tracer goes from the field to the ballast AND regulator and then brown connects from the regulator, blue, to the other side of the ballast.

Greg

If you look at the schematic the wire that goes to the ballast resistor is on the 12v side so it could go anywere that had an ignition switched 12v source.

340mopar said:
If you look at the schematic the wire that goes to the ballast resistor is on the 12v side so it could go anywere that had an ignition switched 12v source.

Hmmmm. So what your saying is basically what Dave is saying. Just because the schematic shows it don't believe it is exactly as shown. Unfortunately I haven't worked on a 70'ish charging system since the 80's and I never really ripped open a wiring harness to see how they ran the wires anyway.

-
Back