Alternator ideas w/Painless wiring? 60/75/100amp

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
OK, I am back to the build on the duster and I have been sitting here trying to do research on alternators. I would like to go with a one wire setup just for a clean appearance in the engine bay, but I have not heard good things about it. Should I just stick with the stock 60 amp alt or go with the higher amperage one? I have installed a new painless wiring harness so the wiring is solid and no ammeter anymore, just a volt meter. Thanks.

Ken

OK, I am back to the build on the duster and I have been sitting here trying to do research on alternators. I would like to go with a one wire setup just for a clean appearance in the engine bay, but I have not heard good things about it. Should I just stick with the stock 60 amp alt or go with the higher amperage one? I have installed a new painless wiring harness so the wiring is solid and no ammeter anymore, just a volt meter. Thanks.

Ken
same thing here,think I`ll go w/ 80 to 100 amp.----------bob:coffee2:

You can hang about anything you can physically mount. But if you get up into the 80's and bigger, make sure your charge wire is upgraded. anything larger than about 60A "one wire" should have at least no6

"One wire" alternators especially need a great big charge wire because it is also the VOLTAGE SENSE wire. So you need to keep voltage drop to a minimum. Not quite as large a problem on "non" one--wire systems

I don't care for "one wire" for a few personal reasons. One reason IS the voltage sensing situation. A conventional Mopar setup, when properly wired, is very accurate for voltage. Another is 'you racers' with trunk mount batteries. Much easier to 'kill' the system with a 3 wire or external regulator.

But that's just me, and there ARE many successful systems using one wire alternators.

One last consideration for me is I like to use "available" parts, or at least something I can work around. One wire Delcos, for 'xsample, are readily available. I'm not sure what you do when your www. powermaster shipped over the internet dies. NAPA won't know what to do with you.

-
Back