Alternator terminals

-

valiant1966

Reaction score
My 66 Valiant with slant six and the charging system on it is factory. I bought an alternator at a pullnpay out of a 77 truck but it has 2 fields and 1 bat terminal. Mine has only one field and one bat terminal. I have read that I need to ground the fld at 10 o'clock. After mounting, I can see which one is at 10 o'clock.

My question is "Where do I ground it?"

I know it is probably a simple question but I'm not too electrically inclined.Thanks for your help.

It does not matter which field terminal you ground. I usually just use a short pigtail with a push on connector on one end, and a ring on the other. Usually, there's a stud or case screw on the alternator that is just fine. The alternator is WELL grounded to the block by both the bracket and the tension adjuster.

It does not matter which field terminal you ground. I usually just use a short pigtail with a push on connector on one end, and a ring on the other. Usually, there's a stud or case screw on the alternator that is just fine. The alternator is WELL grounded to the block by both the bracket and the tension adjuster.

X2 Mine is a two field connection alternator with one wire grounded to the alternator bracket.

-
Back