Alternator Voltage?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 71 demon with hei ignition and with the engine off i read about 12.5 volts at the battery. but with the engine running when i measure the voltage at the battery terminal on the alt. it reads about 11.4 volts, also my ammeter shows about -5 to -10 is the alternator under charging? or am i measuring the alt voltage at the wrong place?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
:prayer:

"At the battery" is EXACTLY where you should be measuring it.

You are not "under" charging, your system is not charging at all

For a really quick check, pull both field connections (the push on connectors) off at the alternator

Disconnect the connector at the regulator

Turn the key to "run", engine off.

Identify the blue field wire at the alternator, and check the voltage of that wire to ground. Should be very close to battery

Hook the blue wire back up to the alternator field (does not matter which one) and take your meter and measure from the SECOND alternator field terminal to ground. Again, you should have very close to battery

Take a clip lead and hook this exposed alternator terminal to ground. With the key in "run" you should get a small spark as you hook it up

Start the car and gently bring up the RPM, watching your voltmeter on the battery. The voltage should start to climb, do NOT let the voltage get above 15 if you can, and in NO case allow it above 16

IF this the voltage does not climb, either you have a problem in the alternator, or the charging lead / ammeter circuit has a problem

IF no change (still low volts at battery) move your voltmeter to the big output stud on the alternator. If the voltage is low here, the alternator has a problem

If the voltage is high here (much much above 14V) and low at the battery, you have a break in the charging line , the bulkhead connector, or the ammeter circuit.

If the voltage in the test above DID go up at the battery, you have a problem in the regulator or regulator circuit

Now hook the green field wire (the one unhooked) back up to the other field connector. Identify the green wire up at the regulator and hook this to ground with a clip lead

Once again, more RPM should result in increased voltage. If so, the green wire is OK.

With the key on or the engine running, confirm that you have "battery" at the blue wire to the regulator. IF so, and the above checks were OK, replace the regulator.

ok also the voltage drops on the battery when the engine is running. its about 11.8-12 volts measured on the the battery posts when the car is running.

Probably the voltage regulator. Any part store can test the alternater. If it checks OK , buy a regulator.

While the engine is running place a pocket knife (or something metal) on the back of the alternator. If you don't feel a magnetic field on the alternator then it isn't charging.

With a good alternator with the engine running, you should read 13.3/13.5 volts minimum to 15.0 volts max.

check the ground on the voltage regulator, if the bolts got corroded or loose it will not work. It must be grounded ...

-
Back