Alumaloy anyone use it for repairing Quarter extensions?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
I have some cracks in my rear quarter extensions, has anyone used Alumaloy and if so do you have any advice for using it that one may need? Maybe some pictures of the repair?

Aren't the front and rear extensions aluminum?

You had me second guessing myself so I went out to my car with a magnet and it doesn't stick,so I assume there aluminum.

You are probably right. He is talking about the caps at the end of the quarters. I was thinking about something else, that's what a few beers after a hot day will do.

Anyway... that stuff is designed for aluminum and pot metal so it should work.

You are probably right. He is talking about the caps at the end of the quarters. I was thinking about something else, that's what a few beers after a hot day will do.

Anyway... that stuff is designed for aluminum and pot metal so it should work.
No problem,just trying to keep the info correct.:burnout:

You had me second guessing myself so I went out to my car with a magnet and it doesn't stick,so I assume there aluminum.

They are die cast pot metel. Which is not magnetic.

My fronts are different thickness' one is heavy like to back two but one is alot lighter,I figure from a different year,they feel like cast aluminum especially the light one.

The extensions could be a zinc based pot metal which would not be magnetic and would be light. Cast metal is usually a low melting inexpensive metal that can have varying amounts of alloying elements thrown in to achieve desired properties. I am not surprised that there is difference in weight on some of the extensions since Ma Mopar probably had more than one supplier of the material used to make them.

There's a ton of zinc in them that makes it difficult to weld on. I don't know how hot that Alumaloy stuff needs, but if it's hot enough to burn the zinc up, you'll ruin those parts, fast.

Solder, or lead might work, too. Not saying Alumaloy won't work, just offering alternatives. Please keep us posted on how it turns out.

There's a ton of zinc in them that makes it difficult to weld on. I don't know how hot that Alumaloy stuff needs, but if it's hot enough to burn the zinc up, you'll ruin those parts, fast.

Solder, or lead might work, too. Not saying Alumaloy won't work, just offering alternatives. Please keep us posted on how it turns out.
700 Degree working temp. They use it to repair Pot metal headlight housings on their website. Can't hurt to try.

-
Back