Aluminum HV pump installed

-

demon seed

The Original Demon Seed
Reaction score
Well, all this crappy weather has allowed me to get some work done on the beast. Got rid of the old cast iron pump (blown seal) and installed a new high volume unit which I'm hoping will also cure a slight cooling problem in stop and go. Fired her up and no leaks and she comes right up to 180 and sits there now all I need is some hot days to see how good it works. While I was at it I also scrapped the old 727 oil pan (easy to drain the oil when you drill a 1/8 hole in it and no mess) and put on a 3 inch deeper aluminum pan from Summit, looks nice.

Terry

P1010005 (Small).JPG

3 (Small).JPG

4 (Small).JPG

Looks good Demonseed. Let us know if it solves the stop and go overheating problem if it ever warms up out side. Supposed to do the rain/snow mix here tomorrow. Hard to believe as it was 80 F today.

One day I'll buy a Bridgeport so I can fix all of the aftermarket thermostat outlets. I had to do the figure 8 on some 120 grit to fix the last one, what a pain.

Looks good Demonseed. Let us know if it solves the stop and go overheating problem if it ever warms up out side. Supposed to do the rain/snow mix here tomorrow. Hard to believe as it was 80 F today.

One day I'll buy a Bridgeport so I can fix all of the aftermarket thermostat outlets. I had to do the figure 8 on some 120 grit to fix the last one, what a pain.

Yea the face of the pump that the water neck bolts to had a real nice finish to it but the face of the water neck was crap, it looked like it was cut with a hack saw, so I took it to a friends machine shop, chucked it up on the lathe and took .010" off the face.

Terry

Yea the face of the pump that the water neck bolts to had a real nice finish to it but the face of the water neck was crap, it looked like it was cut with a hack saw, so I took it to a friends machine shop, chucked it up on the lathe and took .010" off the face.

Terry

Wow, a lathe. Was it actually cast on center or did you have to do the rotate by hand, check clearance, etc. thing?

Good to know about the sealing surface of the pump. Who made it again? My memory sucks.

What was your impression of the machining quality on the Summit 727 pan? Good tip by the way in regards to draining.

Wow, a lathe. Was it actually cast on center or did you have to do the rotate by hand, check clearance, etc. thing?

Good to know about the sealing surface of the pump. Who made it again? My memory sucks.

What was your impression of the machining quality on the Summit 727 pan? Good tip by the way in regards to draining.

Yea I just used a 4 jaw and kept tapping it around until I got a .002" runout on the face then skimmed .010 across it.

The pump and housing came from Mancini, your guess is as good as mine who's casting they were. I'm pretty sure the HV pump is a Milodon unit and all the gasket faces were mirror smooth, really nice work. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/brbhigvolwat1.html

The Summit pan was real nice to, no problems, came with filter, gaskets, extension and all the bolts required.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...922122+4294905607+4294905621+115&autoview=sku

Terry

If you have stop and go heating problems, put a fan shroud and clutch fan on it.

Thanks for the suggestion but I thought of that dusterdon, problem is that the rad I'm using doesn't lend itself to use a bolt on shroud therefore I'd have to get one custom made. That option is a little priceyer than a HV pump.

Terry

I put a b body 26" radiator and shroud in my duster. REally easy to do. Just gotta open up the core support a little and drill 4 new mounting holes.

I still want to bet my quarter on poor radiater flow just because I fought the same battle. Only ran hot idling in drive , caught in traffic. Good luck

-
Back