Am I Nuts?

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have recently have been looking to buy a Dodge Magnum RT. I know it has a plastic cheap looking dash and the front end is dated and kind of ugly. Not to mention the rust issues and the 5.7 valve spring problems.
But there is something that is appealing to me still and have always wanted one. The wife said she wouldn't mind driving one but it has to be in great condition with low miles. Hard to find.
She still thinks I'm crazy to pay that much for a 12 year old used car. Is she right and I'm just not listening? Talk me out of it.

Yep, your nuts!!! along with all of us Moparites. Rod

I can't (and won't) talk you out of it. I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD with a 3.5L V6 and absolutely loved it. I eventually traded it for my '06 Charger SRT-8 but there are a lot of times I wish I had the Maggie back. Great car. I tried to find another one last year before I bought my Chrysler 300C for daily driving. I would have preferred the Maggie if I could have found one at the time.

05 Magnum.jpg

I can't (and won't) talk you out of it. I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD with a 3.5L V6 and absolutely loved it. I eventually traded it for my '06 Charger SRT-8 but there are a lot of times I wish I had the Maggie back. Great car. I tried to find another one last year before I bought my Chrysler 300C for daily driving. I would have preferred the Maggie if I could have found one at the time.

View attachment 1715064848
is that Inferno Red?

Yeah you're nuts. And so am I. I want one, R/T at least and it's been haunting me for a few years now. Most owners know what they have and what they've done to it, and yeah prices seem a bit high for a car that age, so they command a bit more. But they don't ever seem to last long, do they?

I wouldn't let somebody give me one of them pieces of ****.

Although I would not want one, I always say that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream. FYI, I also wouldn't care for a 4 door charger. Sorry, I just never got over Dodge putting the "Charger" name on a 4 door car. But, that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.

There is a clean looking 07 SRT on feebay right now for the same price range. The 6.1 doesn't have the spring issues, much better brakes and seating, suspension, along with more power to haul the mail. Unless you are looking for the AWD, I would go the SRT8 route.

I actually bought a 07 RT last week. Its on cargurus site and I bought it over the phone with a refundable deposit. Drove to Cleveland to pick it up and the car is beautiful and the interior is mint. With it just turning 40k it should be. Took it for a test drive and all is good and the 5.7 doesn't have the valvetrain tic. Got back to the dealership and started going over more closely. Body is very nice and I get around to the left rear quarter panel and I see a 2 inch wide band of bubbles under the paint. Dammit! And closer inspection the left rear wheel lip is almost gone with rust.
I'm sitting in the dealership on my phone looking for a patch panel, and didn't find any.
Make a long story short I walked away from it.

Yes I considered an SRT8 too. But the real nice unmolested ones are still 20k. And I'll bet they suck in the snow and require premium fuel. The insurance rates are thru the roof too.
The search goes on I guess.
Gotta ask! Rob why don't you like them? Why do you think there garbage?

I had an '05 RT. Bought it new and kept it for almost 11 years and over 200k miles. Ours didn't have a spot of rust and didn't cause us any more trouble than you'd expect for a car that old. I'd still have it if I hadn't gotten our super low miles 300 from my dad, and I'd certainly buy another if they still made them.

-
Back