amp meter bypass...?

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever done this? Looks pretty straight forward to me. I had considered it. The factory gauge scares me.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

If I do bypass it, I'll just run a aftermarket volt meter under the dash along with the temp, oil, ect.ect.

Just curious, need opinions since the $hitty wiring is what dead-lined my duster in the first place. :angry7:

Thanks.

Most of the guys here do put the two connections together as the wiring is about 40 years old and the ammeter is crap anyway I have also put a different alternator on my barracuda the output wires go straight to the battery and not through the dash/ammeter I have had no problems with it apart from the ammeter shows discharge and not charge .I have also fitted a voltmeter and temp and oil pressure gauge under the dash

As an alternative, running a wire directly from the alternator + output terminal to the battery side of the starter relay mounted on the inner fender on the drivers side, without touching the ammeter wiring, has also worked.

My 1971 Duster 340 has the rallye gauge cluster where the ammeter is integrated into the gas gauge! With this setup, I'm thinking of doing what I mentioned above, alternator output wire directly to the starter relay, but I'm not sure if that really cures the problem.

I did the bypass just as it was shown in your link and it went off without a hitch. I'm no electrician,but I redid all the wiring in the Barracuda with a good color schematic. Some headaches and still a bug or two,like the gas gauge not working but overall not too painful.

As an alternative, running a wire directly from the alternator + output terminal to the battery side of the starter relay mounted on the inner fender on the drivers side, without touching the ammeter wiring, has also worked.QUOTE]

Thats the way to do it! Just use the fuseable link in there and you will be fine.

-
Back