Amy is thinking about changing tops...

What color vinyl top would look better ?

• I like it in black

Votes: 45 43.3%
  • I'd love to see Amy change her top to white

Votes: 59 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Heeeeeeeeeey, Amy's car looks just like mine! I was having the same dilemma. Mine has a black top and interior and I was thinking of going with white as I think that looks REALLY sharp. But, seeing as mine has black interior (and I have the original bill of sale with the options listed), I think if/when I redo mine, it will stay black. Sweet looking car either way!

Here's a pic of my car. I just got it and it's still VEEEEEEERRRRRRY dirty. Got it to run and drive, though. 318/auto.

IMG_1957_zps1b84b2fc.jpg

Normally I would have said black, but with white interior, and that exterior color white would really pop!

My '72 has the white top, but with a mostly all black interior and I think even that looks good. I like the white top even better with a white interior. I'd go with white on her car.

White tops are nice. Even more so when wet.

The car would look great with white vinyl as well.

Its cold outside.

hahaha...

I would go white. Remember the higher maintenance on a white vinyl , on a daily driver. Had it on a truck bed cover, mini truck, all white. Was a pain , keeping it cleaned. Ended up ,being a daily maintence gig. ( sat outside, So Cal.)

Something I've thought about. I think as long as I keep a good cleaner in the car with a dedicated terrycloth, I'll probably do the same thing. It does live under a cover and under a carport. Will be living in the garage, when done.

Dave, is that car two-toned? the pic sure looks like a different green below the belt line? If so, since I'm a green guy, I'd look into doing a F8 top on it just to keep the exterior all green.

I love the Mod Tops also, but with this car, I'd probably go White from the two choices available, and what I'm seeing. But that's subject to change at this point...:).

Its just a crappy pic. Its all FJ6. It was all F8 to begin with, with a color matched vinyl top and parchment interior to begin with.

I can probably get a mod top for it or make one, but I'd have to find a decent pattern with white, black and maybe a corresponding green, close to FJ6. That would be bitchin.

It depends on the driver, the black top would be perceived as a BAD persona where as the White would be seen as GOOD persona. I would say you really need the know more about the driver before deciding.

I kind of thought the same thing, until I saw Amy in a pair of white go-go boots at the Modernism convention.

I think I'd see more of said boots, if I put the white top on it.

Heeeeeeeeeey, Amy's car looks just like mine! I was having the same dilemma. Mine has a black top and interior and I was thinking of going with white as I think that looks REALLY sharp. But, seeing as mine has black interior (and I have the original bill of sale with the options listed), I think if/when I redo mine, it will stay black. Sweet looking car either way!

Here's a pic of my car. I just got it and it's still VEEEEEEERRRRRRY dirty. Got it to run and drive, though. 318/auto.

Don't change it. That is a time capsule. I agree. Love it.

Normally I would have said black, but with white interior, and that exterior color white would really pop!

That was Amy's thought on it.

As far as her personality goes, she's really punny. A bit rotten in a really fun way, I guess you could say, so the car really does fit her personality, down to the name. She couldn't stop laughing at the name of the color, when I told her what she picked. She's one of the friendliest people I've ever met and is very expressive. After she saw a panther pink car with a white top, she thought I should do the Charger with a white top in the LL1 turquoise, but then I suggested the white top on hers. That got the clockwork spinning. She likes them both, but I think it would look cute in white, with her go-go boots and a green floral pencil skirt dress. She's a goofball, but she's not afraid of tattoos, cussing or beer, if that sums it up.

Amyinblue_zpsa6c3fdee.jpg

The white top just "steals the show" away from the nice green paint. Bag the idea IMO.

Something I've thought about. I think as long as I keep a good cleaner in the car with a dedicated terrycloth, I'll probably do the same thing. It does live under a cover and under a carport. Will be living in the garage, when done.

Man, I hate to be a downer, but for a car that lives in anything but a climate controlled garage I don't think I could ever leave a vinyl top in place. They just breed rust if they're exposed to any kind of moisture.

My GK6 GT is a California car through and through. Built in LA, spent it's entire life in the Sacramento valley and foothills. It's a really clean car, except for the top. It had a nice black vinyl top, and at some point the car started living outside. It needs the entire roof skin replaced, some parts of it look like swiss cheese and half the roof skin is about as thick as tin foil. My EL5 GT is also a California car, and has spent it's whole life in pretty much the same area. And fortunately, someone took the white vinyl top off of it and just primered the top white. It spent some time outdoors too, but you could never tell based on the body, it's completely rust free.

There are only two things that rust out roof skins- ocean air and vinyl tops. I think the vinyl tops look good, but the only way I'd ever put one on a car is if I knew it would always be garaged, and would rarely, if ever, see rain. And since my cars are drivers, that means no vinyl tops.

Colorado is a lot like Arizona. We're on a lot of clay, so we would be a desert climate if it weren't for the mountains.

The elevation up here keeps the air very crisp. Its not like SoCal, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. There is a noticeable difference in the air, the moment you get out of your car on a road trip, coming through here.

The car has a coat of epoxy primer under the top. When I did it, I sanded everything down to clean metal and epoxy primed the bare metal. If I take it off and notice any problems, I'll paint the top.

The car didn't have terrible rust on top, even though the top was vinyl to begin with and it came from a dealership in Englewood, Colorado. It lived outdoors most of its life and the red oxide primer was showing with an occasional spot of surface rust coming through and the typical joint rust at the quarters, which were media blasted, ground and coated with panel bonding epoxy to coat and fill most of the joint area, ground again and filled the rest of the way with Shark Bite, which even sticks to galvanized steel and allegedly, even sanded paint. The gutters were stripped and redone with a solvent based gloss finish hard bodied seam sealer.

A friend of mine has a '67 Sport Fury with a light metallic blue vinyl top and white paint. Its lived in a cold garage its entire life and came from a dealership in Lakewood, Colorado.

When we pulled the top to redo it, we didn't even have to remove all of the remaining adhesive, only grind it so the fuzz was gone and reapplied new adhesive.

Colorado doesn't trash tops much, if they are out of direct sunlight most of the time. We've got a crazy high UV index because of the thin atmosphere, so I use products that help UV protection and water shed that are not silicone based.

If I lived in SoCal or even some place that had a high humidity average, I'd reconsider the top idea.

But then again, I painted the car and put the top on, so if the top does happen to go to hell, $150 and $35 worth of adhesive in an afternoon isn't too harsh. This one has survived three years with absolutely no issues. No fading, cracking, peeling, bubbling, loss of gloss finish or rust.

If I had to pay someone every two or three years or if the car lived in the elements, I'd probably get annoyed with it, for sure.

PEACH, keep her!

I'm doing all I can to! hahahaha...

I'll be sure to pass that along as well. lol

The white top just "steals the show" away from the nice green paint. Bag the idea IMO.

I thought so, too, at first, which is why I went black, but it sure goes with the rest of the white on the car.

I think the verdict is in.

Amy is going to change tops.

I will be sure to get photos.

lol

Considered, what you have done for a living, rust is kind of a mute point, Dave.... See you, soon.....

Shoot! Here I was thinking/hoping that this might be a misplaced Blue Forum thread.

Having a pair of unfortunate experiences with vinyl tops, I'm not a fan of them (see below).

What a white top will do is raise the focal point of the car. It will show dirt more readily than a black top and require more cleaning.

Why I don't like vinyl tops, or 2 Darts Creates 1 of 1 Demon Roadster

Attachments

• IMG_5492t.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 148
When I first started reading this, I was all about keeping the black top... (my Dart has a black top so im kinda partial to that) .. but the more I look, at the color combo, and not that we've been introduced to Amy (the person) lol... Im gonna go with white.. I think it'll look awesome.. Both are head turners

-
Back