And so it begins. 69 Dart GT resto

-
Been following for a long time. Great thread. Don't remember if you already did or not, but figured worth mentioning...since you have k-frame out consider welding factory stitch welds solid and possibly adding gussets to further strengthening it?

Been following for a long time. Great thread. Don't remember if you already did or not, but figured worth mentioning...since you have k-frame out consider welding factory stitch welds solid and possibly adding gussets to further strengthening it?
How do you weld in gussets? I'm not familiar with this. Any pics? I will weld the factory stitch welds while it's out.

So it looks like I will remove the suspension and get the k-frame cleaned and blasted. Then on to the welding.

A gusset = triangle piece of flat metal placed where support (from a horizontal to vertical) is/if needed. As far as lower arm stiffening, as mentioned above flat stock welded to bottom don't cover torsion bar adjustment nuts. Look at picture online and copy.

I got the k-frame back from blasting. It's a mess. The previous owner couldn't weld to save his life. I have a lot of cleaning up to do.

A lot of awesome metal work on that body. Amazed that spare tire well and floor were solid but other areas rotted out.

While Tin Cup is doing the rear wheel wells, I've been cleaning the engine bay. After about a good 10 hours on it, I'm almost done. I had to order more abrasive wheels.

Over 12 hours cleaning up the engine bay. Almost done.

IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

Tin Cup finished the mini tubs. We'll get some primer on and seam sealer. He has to order a good spray-on undercoating for durability. I'll be cleaning up underneath before installing the axle and fuel tank along with all the hardware.

IMG_5194.jpg

IMG_5193.jpg

Tin Cup is on to the front now. Filling in some holes, repairing dings and patching the holes from fenderwell headers.

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

-
Back