And they said it wasn't a practical winter car...

-

DarthSwinger

Reaction score
Well, they might actually be right. But you know what, for my 6 mile commute, the old girl can still hang with the Jeeps and Subarus on sub zero snowy days. In my head anyway, it's perfectly reasonable, as long as you give it time to start making heat inside and practice all your normal safe winter driving techniques. Thought some of you might enjoy these. Stay warm.

The A body mope is probably one of the best in the snow. Maybe a couple of sand bags in the trunk, and you are good to go. Good for you man. I'd do the same.

Haven't needed the sandbags yet. Honestly, the number of days here where it's like this is pretty low. Just M+S rated cheapo 14's and haven't had an issue.

the secret to snow is good tires.

worst case grab the sipping tool or tractionizer to fix em up

I drove many Mopars in the snow, my 69 Dart was great but my 73 Duster was the worst lol

Attachments

• scan0030.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 862
  • scan0033.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 847
  • scan0004.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 850
  • scan0005.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 861
  • scan0007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 852
  • scan0003.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 838
Those are some cool cars. Is that a block heater i see plugged into the Chrysler? That might not be a bad idea, except I live at an apartment complex and can't really plug it in....house soon hopefully.

Those are some cool cars. Is that a block heater i see plugged into the Chrysler? That might not be a bad idea, except I live at an apartment complex and can't really plug it in....house soon hopefully.

Thanks! I had block heaters in all my winter driver Mopars :glasses7:

My 69 Dart actually had a "tank heater" in it instead of a block heater...it always started no matter how cold it got :glasses7:

..........my 70 340 swinger seen many winters....and a 73 duster and a 76 dart sport.........also a 67 dart gt...........and a few big chryslers........kim.............

I drove A bodies in Illinois winters for about 6-7 years and they ran pretty decent in the snow.

Grew up in Iowa, on the Mississippi bluffs. I would put my 70 Duster in first gear and at just above idle it would chug along and go up those snow covered hills like nothing. I though all cars would do that, was I in for a shock.

This is great. I'm glad to hear so many get driven year round. I've got one other A-body, but I've only driven it around the lot at my work in the snow.....brakes need finishing. Hopefully the Cuda is just as good. Don't have to worry about too much power in that one, that 273 is tired.

Its all about the diver. Passed many Subaru's in the ditch with my 92' Mustang GT. My 66 Coronet 500 did good in the snow too, a 440 up front helps the tires plant.

Yup, they work just fine! So far I've only put the Challenger to work in the snow, but I'm sure the Duster's time will come too.

I may have to come up with a radiator cover for my Duster though, the aluminum radiator is awesome in the summer, but with the morning temps getting into the 30's the thermostat doesn't stay open the whole time, kind of opens and closes as the temp hangs right around 180. Kind of a drag when it closes and the interior heat drops off!

And yes, that's a dirt road too. :D

IMG_0711.jpg

Drove my 67 Barracuda everyday then traded it on a 69 RR with 440 and 6 pak hood, used duct tape to close off scoop and snow tires on my cragers

Who needed a stinking 4x4

We learned how to drive in snow in rear wheel drive cars.

I drive my mustang daily, only take the truck when there is lots of snow

I drive mine for all my service calls no matter the weather, and it does as good as any other 2 wheel drive car.
Since I have a one legged rear end I do sometimes have to make sure and try to keep the right tire in a place where it gets better traction, but I have had it in places where after I parked it tried to slide backwards when I let the brake pedal off. :)

I drove in the snow most of my life though.

The biggest danger to my car is the shitheads that come right up behind you and hit thier brakes at the last second like they would on dry pavement.

Funny this should come up, as I have a 10am appt this morning and I just looked outside to see it snowing like a SOB. :)

Good in the snow?? Talk about delirious..Guess some of you folks have never driven a 4x4...Would not make it out of my 'hood in an A-body right now. Both ways out are iced over...and have some steep inclines. If I stop on the one of them, even with 4 wheel drive I have to back down.

Good in the snow?? Talk about delirious..Guess some of you folks have never driven a 4x4...Would not make it out of my 'hood in an A-body right now. Both ways out are iced over...and have some steep inclines. If I stop on the one of them, even with 4 wheel drive I have to back down.

I just got back from a 6 block trip one way to my service call and there is about 4 inches of snow on the roads.
Ink, they drive as well as any rear drive cars do (I think that was the idea)

The sure grip would be nice, but it can also get you in trouble since in the snow they tend to wash out sideways easier when it does break traction.

And of course I saw the usual ******** doing 40 in a residential 25 with fresh snow on the streets.
(In a Honda Accord not a truck or 4x4)

Most don't realize that 4x4 doesn't do a thing for braking on slick surfaces either, as 4 tires sliding are four tires sliding with any vehicle.

Had an old 4-door dart years ago, put studded saw-dust recapped winter tires on it.
The old gal would go anywhere with common sense.

-
Back