Another 904 vs 727 ID question

-
Reaction score
Sorry guys, this has been rehashed so much, but this complete newbie is struggling.
The 64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible I picked up has 2464979U stamped on the transmission, which according to Tom Hands workbench shop manual is a small car V8 727. See image.

But the pan is clearly the shape of a 904 with one diagonal corner. See second image.
What is the discrepancy?

The car has a non-original 318. Can you guys help me get started on this project with identifying what it is that I'm working with?

ID chart.jpg

904 vs 727.PNG

Post a photo of what you have.

The pan shape SHOULD be 100 % correct

There is a possibility that it is a coincidence that 2464979U is a partial VIN or sequence number.

Last edited:
Thanks for the immediate response! I feel like going with pan shape is the best bet too. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, and make sure I've read ALL the numbers correctly.

That trans should be a cable shift with a rear pump . They called them the little torque flites back then.. Actually all 904's came behind 6 Cyl. engines. Small V8's after 66 were 999's and 998's. Everyone calls them 904's though.

Get some photos of the numbers, many times 8 and 3s, 6s, 9s can be mistaken.
The number in the book might be a misprint

2464979 is the correct part number for a 1964 dart with 273 engine. It should be a 904 transmission. Check the shape of the pan to be sure.

I went back and looked at my data and all my early info came from parts books and service bulletins. Here is an image of the parts book and since it is for the small car, it should have been the 904 transmission. These early ones are bit tougher to decode but clearly, I erred by assuming the V8 979 version was a 727 transmission. I'll fix it next version and thanks for catching it.

IMG_3650.jpeg

Last edited:
That's why I don't go by just numbers. What's printed can be incorrect; imagine how many times incorrect printed material is cut and pasted online.

Wow you guys are lightening quick. Thanks for clearing up the discrepancy.
Here are the pictures just to close it out.
Transmission stamp: 2464979U 128604
Valve Body: 2400340

I replaced the push-button shift assembly and adjusted the linkage, so it appears to find Fwd and Rev much better now. Tomorrow I'll set her back on the ground and attempt a test drive to get a better idea of what symptoms there are. But from all of the oil everywhere, I'm afraid the 318 rear main seal may be leaking too :-(

I've never driven it. Picked up this one and a hard-top 225 with a garage full of parts. No idea what has been done to either of them because I purchased them from the brother-in-law of a guy who had recently passed. I love a good mystery!

Dart Valve  Body.jpeg

Dart Trans Numbers.jpeg

Brings into question what else in the book is not correct:rolleyes:

:lol:

Valve Body: 2400340

Not to confuse you, but I have multiple valve bodies from 1964 727's with the same casting numbers as you show 2400340..... Not sure if they actually directly interchange between 904 and 727, or if any of the spring pressures are different, etc. Just a little insight for your future reference.

Hi Dana and thank you for the comment. A book with so much technical data does have many opportunities for errors. Authors take lot of time checking information but a lot of the information was from hand typed early to mid 60's data and much more was from hurriedly published TSBs and other factory data. Sadly, the guys/gals that could answer some of the questions and verify data had died many years ago so the best one can do is trust the factory information at hand. When another edition is printed, changes will be made. So, bottom line is any errors are great to have pointed out now so later editions can be corrected. Any error are sure welcome so please keep them coming.

That trans should be a cable shift with a rear pump . They called them the little torque flites back then.. Actually all 904's came behind 6 Cyl. engines. Small V8's after 66 were 999's and 998's. Everyone calls them 904's though.
Everything I’ve read indicates 998’s and 999‘s are lockup models introduced around ‘78-‘80.
Would somebody clear this up.

904's were mostly slant six cases? Go dunk your head in a five gallon bucket of tranny fluid...burnt tranny fluid.

The number 2400340 is not the part number for the complete valve body assembly.It is only one section of the valve body.This piece of the valve body was used on both the 904 and the 727 in 1964 and 1965.

Everybody who actually rebuilds automatics already knows that a book is only a beginning guide. There are so many different problems that can be encountered that a book cannot begin to cover them all. That's why I'm here. You guys who want to rely on books etc, will do okay until you encounter a problem not listed; and there are PLENTY. Plenty of problems that are easily overlooked. Then you can come on here and ask ME! But of course, at that point, your rebuild is failing and it has to come out AGAIN.

Am I an expert? I have three TFs here to rebuild right now and another to pick up this afternoon. These are all street beater transs that are expected to be driven extremely hard and take it day after day. They all get thin Red Eagles in third gear and a Kevlar front band; no exceptions. Can I scrutinize your shop to see how many you're working on right now?

-
Back