-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This sucks.

938023F9-29EA-45C1-9DDA-E20D617A2288.jpeg

8495DC50-17B8-4CC6-9357-FCBB130FDD6F.jpeg

I lost a favorite childhood junkyard to rezoning and tax laws. Lawmakers know there is no profit/money in these organizations, makes them easy targets. I just read an article that we are gonna lose Sacramento Raceway.

That's sad. I'm still not over Commerce closing. That was a HUGE stop for NHRA.

Let's read between the lines...This is the future of our hobby, sport, occupation and just the plain love and fascination with the things we love, all coming from the "left, climate cultist and environmental fanatics." Tax and regulate you out of existence. Not a conspiracy, but a fact.

And people wonder why there is all this dangerous racing on the streets...

The cost of real estate is nuts. Unfortunately, the land a lot of these places are on is worth more to a developer than it is to a race track owner.

Here in New England the drag ways are built in dead area. Then over time people build homes around the tracks and complain about the noise, weekend traffic and anything else they can. Then run the tracks out of business. We are down to just a few left. Epping New Hampshire (New England Dragway) and Oxford, Me.
Or go to Upstate NY for Lebanon Valley.
When these locations were rocking they either bought up the property around them and protected themselves or they did not.
Sadly part of the issue was their own business plan. Next generation not wanting the hassle also plays into it. Taxes and people not understanding what they have also does not help. Locals dislike the noise on Sat and Sundays but like the fact it draws lots of revenue to the local economy. We need to get Musk into Drag racing. Let him buy a few tracks up and help save our sport. (Or someone like him.)
Syleng1

This is just horrible. Can a county actually charge whatever they want for taxes to force someone out? Isn’t there a law or something to stop them? Can the track appeal to the state? What will the taxes be after the track is closed? Maybe it’s time that the NHRA stepped in b4 they have to close up shop cause there won’t be any tracks to run at anymore.

Last edited:
I lost a favorite childhood junkyard to rezoning and tax laws. Lawmakers know there is no profit/money in these organizations, makes them easy targets. I just read an article that we are gonna lose Sacramento Raceway.

Our closest ⅛ mile track in Hudson, NC closed years ago. This was only a few miles from Don Carlton's garage. He and Clyde Hodges would do some of their testing there.

One of my favorite tracks was Shuffletown, just north of Charlotte, NC. The land was fairly flat there and sandy soil so no mud from draining and refilling radiators between runs. I heard zoning and noise complaints closed it.

And there was a strip at Shelby, NC surrounded by corn fields that was also closed.

Back in the 70's Pittsburgh International Dragway closed due to a proposed housing plan.
Never happened and mother nature took over the land.

Remember this whenever some EV clown tells you that you can still take your dinosaur to the track

Young people and cell phones :soapbox: I think they are glued to their hands.
Ok back to our regular scheduled program..

Shawnee County is where the state capital is. Very crooked County. This is my local track and there done after this year. Only one track left in kansas and it's 3.5 hours away. I think my racing career just ended. There were 4 track just 6 years ago.

That really sucks. I liked racing there a lot more than I did at Gateway. But have you guys heard about this?

Ok let's try this.

Flying H Dragstrip to replace Heartland Motorsports Park in 2024

NHRA officials announced on Friday, July 28, that the new Flying H Dragstrip in the Kansas City area will be part of NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series by holding an national event in 2024.
This comes after Heartland Motorsports Park announced that the final event at the facility will take place on Aug. 11-13 with the Menards NHRA Nationals presented by PetArmor. The track has been hosting NHRA national events since 1989, Heartland Motorsports Park will be closing its doors due to its ongoing tax and land dispute with Shawnee County.

-
Back