Another grill question

-

'Cause

need lots of parts
Reaction score
This has most likely been asked a dozen times, but I can not find it here with a search...
So please,

Will a '70-'72 Duster Grill work in a '73 Scamp?

Will much have to be changed?

Ken

It depends on how much work you want to do. If you just want to install the grill by itself you’ll have issues. The ‘73 fenders won’t have the mounting brackets/holes you need. The ‘73 hood contour will leave a large gap above the earlier grill. The lower grill surround will probably have to be changed, or you’ll have gaps. If you do swap out the lower surround then that will likely leave some decent sized gaps to the bumper. And the hood latch panel won’t line up with the grill.

Since your car is a ‘73 though, you could swap on the ‘70-72 hood, hood latch panel, lower grill surround and the ‘70-72 front bumper. If you did that, then the mounting brackets to the fenders (headlight mounting area) would be the only difference. And that would just be about drilling the holes and adding the brackets you need.

It depends on how much work you want to do. If you just want to install the grill by itself you’ll have issues. The ‘73 fenders won’t have the mounting brackets/holes you need. The ‘73 hood contour will leave a large gap above the earlier grill. The lower grill surround will probably have to be changed, or you’ll have gaps. If you do swap out the lower surround then that will likely leave some decent sized gaps to the bumper. And the hood latch panel won’t line up with the grill.

Since your car is a ‘73 though, you could swap on the ‘70-72 hood, hood latch panel, lower grill surround and the ‘70-72 front bumper. If you did that, then the mounting brackets to the fenders (headlight mounting area) would be the only difference. And that would just be about drilling the holes and adding the brackets you need.

Thank you for the response.
I should have noted; I have a '71 hood and the narrow valance piece that goes below the grill.
It sounds as if I will just have to drill some mounting holes and fab out a 'bracket' piece for the hood latch, I do also have the '71 hood latch assembly so it shouldn't be to difficult, I have all those pieces from a parts car I got, but not a grill. I found a nice grill for a decent price but just wasn't certain it could be done without a lot of issues. I suppose I'll go forward on the grill now. THANK YOU!
I want to change the look from that pointed hood/front to an earlier 'flat' front.

agian... Thank you for a straight up answer and not make me feel like a fool !

Your plan sounds like a big improvement to me. Plus the loss of 20-30 lbs in just the wrong place.

I should have noted; I have a '71 hood and the narrow valance piece that goes below the grill.
It sounds as if I will just have to drill some mounting holes and fab out a 'bracket' piece for the hood latch, I do also have the '71 hood latch assembly so it shouldn't be to difficult, I have all those pieces from a parts car I got, but not a grill. I found a nice grill for a decent price but just wasn't certain it could be done without a lot of issues. I suppose I'll go forward on the grill now. THANK YOU!
I want to change the look from that pointed hood/front to an earlier 'flat' front.

Absolutely bud, happy to help.

If you've got the hood, lower surround and latch assembly you should be able to make it work. Having the complete latch panel would make it easier though. You'll need to figure out the brackets and mounting holes on the ends of the grill where they originally went to the fenders.

you have GREAT TASTE!!! I just bought a ‘73 Scamp which has a lot of improvements over 1970-72 with Factory Front Disc Brakes, Factory Big Bolt Pattern Rallye Wheels, nicer high back bench buckets AND the single biggest ‘73 styling upgrade: VENT WINDOW DELETE! Full A Pillar front door glass! FINALLY! The PentaStar should have done this on 1968 Charger RR GTX etc makes a very clean windows-down hardtop. But I digress, only hideous ‘73 styling FAIL was ‘hump’ hood, ugly grill, valance and huge front bumper [with the great looking rear treatment intact]. So your plan to swap flat ‘70-72 hood, grill, valance and bumper is EXACTLY my plan. Thank You all for getting the FABO answer to my ‘70/1/2 Front Clip swap with our ‘73 Scamps!!!

-
Back