Another lifter noise question

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I've been fighting a lifter noise since motor was rebuilt,has had 2 different cam and lift sets in it.After sitting awhile would tap loud for only 2 or 3 secs then quiet down but still tap quietly.Lifter bores where checked when block was done.I recently installed some 273 rockers and it quieted it down at start up but still taps at idle and seems to go away under load.I did notice that on a couple of the lifters that when I went to adjust preload I could easily push the pushrod in with light pressure from the tip of my finger.Even when they're bled down should I be able to compress the lifter that easy? Checked how the cam bearing oil holes where lined up when I changed the cam,looked good.plenty of oil in the valve covers.No shavings in oil. I assume that if I wasn't getting enough oil up there they'd all be making noise.Could running the engine with too little preload mess up the lifter? Already checked/changed header gaskets.

Yes, when lifters are bled down, they will compress easily. It sounds like something is allowing the lifters to bleed down. They should not. Did you get the cam and lifters from the same place? Same brand? I ask for two reasons. Mopar Performance had a bad run of lifters a while back. Some may still be out there. Also, some big block lifters have oil grooves in a different spot than small block lifters. I've heard tell of a few sets that got included with a small block cam. They will act just as you describe.

the cam and lifters are comp xe274h,I've heard that they tend to be noisier than most, but I had the same problem w/valve noise w/a summit cam ,441/.441.I'm going to make sure all the valve stem are the same height w/a straight edge.Never tried the adjustable rockers on that cam tho.

When I adjusted pre-load with the hydraulic lifters (Rhoads) I put in my 273 engine, I had the intake manifold off. I thought it would be hard to get it right just by feel, without seeing when the inner piston just starts to depress from the snap ring. However, I was fooled the other way, i.e. when it felt like I still had some play in the push rod, it was already slightly depressed. If you can get a thin "USB endoscope camera" (<$20 ebay) down the hole to view, it might help. Also, I think you can fish a lifter out of the bore with a wire (a tool for that) if you remove the pushrod, which I think you can easily do with the adjustable rocker. See if the bottom of the suspect lifter is worn.

This is a tough one. I know a few members here have had lifter failures at times, but since you've replaced them along with the cam and rockers, it would be some coincidence to still have this problem.

First, bare with me :), but I have to ask about oil pressure. How is it at idle, and how does it react with rpm?

Second, are you positive it's valvetrain noise? Is it random across both banks, or has it been located in one specific area over the course of the changes?

about 25 @idle,55 going down the road,both when hot.But I'm starting to wonder if maybe one of the bearing moved because it seems to go away under load.Still getting oil @idle but just not enough,when under load more getting forced up there.Seems to be coming from the passenger side.

The ***** is I was planning on pulling it out to stroke it,but I've discovered I've got a blood disorder and I'm not sure what the treatments are going to cost me,cause my insurance sucks.Hematologists bill was 1400 fighting with them,they say it wasn't neccesary.Hate to tear it down if I dont have to.

A bad guide can cause a noisy lifter..

Put a lever/screwdriver between the the 2 valve springs,, and push sideways against the valve retainer,, see how much "wiggle" the valve stems have..

hope it helps

the shafts are on right ,slots down.I will check how much wiggle room there is.I thought only the 273 rockers had clearance problems not the stamped rocker.I'm going to take a look at that.If all checks out I think I'm going to pull the motor and tear it apart.I keep thinking about if the cam bearing holes aren't aligned well enough,although I saw no signs of galling on the rocker shafts.Because my thought is it quiets down at higher rpms,more oil being forced up there.I took the shafts off and cranked it over and oil only came of 2 of the pedastals,one on each side.The amount of oil wasn't much.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to just tear it down this winter.The blood disorder I've got is terminal.They can't tell me how long I've got,5,10.15,20 yrs maybe more.Just don't know.So I'm going to live for today.Was going to stroke it but I think I'm just going to put a better set of rods in it,put a set of heads from IMM on it and get it balanced.The guy who did the machine work said it wasn't neccessary for a driver but I'd like to do a little racing.Plus if my health care costs make it necessary to sell the car,sure don't want to have it tapping away.

i'm keepin you in my prayers buddy

hopefully if you get the engine in there when driving season ends you can get it back in the car before march :D

so all you get to drive around over the winter months is your snowblower lol

-
Back