Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
My son chose a set for his Charger.

View attachment 1714859819

View attachment 1714859820

A lot of places don't list all of the available sizes. I heard that they make them in 15X12's. Every now and then I see an old set of skinny 15X4's for sale. I'm not sure but I think the full set a buddy of mine is running on his '68 Coronet are 14's. - Though I doubt the 14's are being made anymore.

John,that sits NICE...

How did you end up needing to remove all your teeth? Strict sugar diet?

I feel for you, John. And this afternoon I'll be taking my daughter to the dentist to remove two of her teeth. Last time I was exhausted afterwards. She was ok, though.

Girls are tough.

If I'd been smarter I would have developed more of a taste for alcohol when I was younger. I blame the exposure to Cherry Schnapps at an early age for my sugar addiction.

I shouldn't have made it sound as though the dentist was so bad. I think I may have offended him before I left when I asked if he was related to Josef Mengele.

Last edited:
Did you drink well water when you was a kid.......
That is what killed my wife's teeth

Here they are pretty rare, the regular cragar ss's are about a dime a dozen here then next to them are torque thrust, but I've maybe seen one or two sets of keystones. I think it requires a certain style of car to make them look right.

There are several aftermarket wheel styles that I've always likes. The torque thrust/ Cragar SS's are really nice wheels, but they're probably also the most common. I like to see more of a variety. There's something to be said for being different than the rest of the crowd. - But as you've stated, some wheels look better on certain cars than others. The Cragar SS probably looks good on every car it goes on. We've probably become conditioned to like them from having seen them on so many nice cars over the years.

I think the additional black in the wheel centers of the Keystones makes them really stand out on a black car. - The deeper the dish, the more 3-dimensional they seem to be when the rim reflects the chrome/black centers.

I was discussing wheel choices earlier today with another guy. He had me come over to help him install a new wiring harness in an Olds 4 4 2. It had a set of the Cutlass color matched rally wheels on it and I told him I thought it looked 'girly'. He agreed. The car belonged to a friend of his and they were going to have to buy a different set of wheels for it because they didn't have disc brake clearance. I'm not sure what they'll end up with. Now I don't mean to imply that either of us hated those factory wheels and I'd probably have kept them if it was my car (and there was no clearance problems). But they're far from being one of my favorite wheel styles.

Last edited:
Did you drink well water when you was a kid.......
That is what killed my wife's teeth

I always thought it was the city water that was supposed to be bad for you.

I'm afraid one of my previous dentists killed them. I never had many problems with my teeth until I asked a dentist to 'clean' them after an exam. I think he scraped through the outer protective enamel. Within a year afterward I started getting cavity after cavity. When I went in for my 1st heart surgery the hospital mandated I have any dental problems addressed before the operation. The hospital's dentist took one look in my mouth and said "My God, what kind of dentist have you been going to?" He didn't elaborate but I assume there were signs of some bad work having been done.

Last edited:
John,that sits NICE...

Thanks bomber. There were only a handful of cars driving around here with mag wheels on them when I was young. Appliance used to make a really nice 5 spoke similar to the Cragar SS but it had steel centers instead of aluminum. I always wanted a set of those. When I couldn't find any of the local shops selling them I chose the Keystones instead. My Roadrunner was black and I loved the way they looked on it. I was super surprised when my son decided to make the same choice for his Charger. He'd never seen a picture of my old Roadrunner so I'm not sure what influenced his decision.

Last edited:
Well water normally around here has alot of iron in it.

The hand dug well she drank in was completely safe according to the health department when I had it tested years ago.

You have to do the old school dip the bucket, crank it up, yes she grew up with no running water as a kid, maybe that is why she is so tough.
City water puts chemicals in it, good or bad???

Well water normally around here has alot of iron in it.

The hand dug well she drank in was completely safe according to the health department when I had it tested years ago.

You have to do the old school dip the bucket, crank it up, yes she grew up with no running water as a kid, maybe that is why she is so tough.
City water puts chemicals in it, good or bad???

Although we had our own well at the farm (and still do) it'd been run by an electric pump ever since I was born.

I do remember using the hand pump at my grandparent's place though. It wasn't an open well and we didn't have to lower the bucket but sometimes we had to prime the pump before it would suck up any water. I seem to recall it being hard to pump the handle when I was little.

Last edited:
I have the hand pump out of our old farm house, not the wife's in the flower bed of the house I live in.
I remember as a kid, having to dump about a quart of water in the top and pump the **** out of the handle as a kid, to get water moving.
I can take a pic of if it I remember tomorrow.

Times sure have changed. I never minded having to go out to the well at my grandparent's to fetch water but taking a bath in the old copper basin was an adventure. We only changed the water out every 3rd person or so. It was usually too hot for the 1st person & too cold for the 3rd. Sometimes grandma would add more heated water (from the stove) if 4 of us were taking baths.

I think we're showing our age. (Next we can talk about how we each walked to and from school uphill both directions)

Thanks bomber. There were only a handful of cars driving around here with mag wheels on them when I was young. Appliance used to make a really nice 5 spoke similar to the Cragar SS but it had steel centers instead of aluminum. I always wanted a set of those. When I couldn't find any of the local shops selling them I chose the Keystones instead. My Roadrunner was black and I loved the way they looked on it. I was super surprised when my son decided to make the same choice for his Charger. He'd never seen a picture of my old Roadrunner so I'm not sure what influenced his decision.

I remember those,John.. The last decent set, I saw: Was early '87 on a Camaro ,I helped build..Nice wheels,in the day....

I think we're showing our age.

The one phrase I can remember clearly from my grandmother was "fetch me a switch", I'm certain the younger folks on this site have no idea what that means. And you did it because if you made her go get one she would head for the willow tree.

I remember those,John.. The last decent set, I saw: Was early '87 on a Camaro ,I helped build..Nice wheels,in the day....

A friend of mine is still running a set on his '70 Charger. He put them on in the early 70's and after all these years they still look like new.

I was always leery about the combination of aluminum & steel that the old Cragar SS wheels used (even though I chose Keystones which are made the same way). I'd heard that the aluminum centers could break away from the shells if you hit a curb hard, but I never knew anyone that had seen that happen.

Last edited:
The one phrase I can remember clearly from my grandmother was "fetch me a switch", I'm certain the younger folks on this site have no idea what that means. And you did it because if you made her go get one she would head for the willow tree.

I think I'd have looked for the flimsiest one I could find!! LOL! My grandma never spanked us but I don't think we ever gave her a reason to. Now my folks knew how to keep the 'fear of God' in us. Bless their souls, I miss them dearly but they must have had some kind of ninja training. They knew how to use almost everything in the house as a punishment weapon.

Last edited:
I think I'd have looked for the flimsiest one I could find!! LOL!

Based on extensive experience I can tell you that your best bet is pinky size with some rigidity! Thinner, more flexible stings more. Willow is the worst possible. Not only is it thin and flexible it also has all those nubs that leave welts, think cat-o-nine tails. I think I was about ten when she last got a hold of me and I still remember.

I was thinking more on the line of brome grass, yarn, wet noodles, etc...

If I'd have had my way when I was little I'd have hidden all the hangers, broom handles, belts, cattle whips, cow buzzers, etc, etc... I remember years ago when the movie 'MOMMY DEAREST' came out. People were outraged that Joan Crawford could have treated her kids so badly. My reaction was more like "Yeah, OK, so what?"

Honestly, I think my folks were very good loving parents. STRICT AS HELL, but they also were very charitable and tried to teach us to be considerate of others. Even when times were tough they'd give as much as they could - usually anonymously.

My son came back from Des Moines and delivered the news that he's decided for sure to scrap the plan for the 512 build for his Charger. This next Wednesday he's putting in an order with Keith Black for an aluminum Hemi.

We talked with Mike at MRL about the change in plans. There are options on the block we wanted his opinion on. I guess we're ordering one with larger cam & main journals, the higher deck height, and with the cam relocated higher in the block. The 1000HP goal hasn't changed. It should be easier to hit with the Hemi because the flow numbers are so much better on their heads.

Next we called up Hemidenny and talked to him about the K-member. I guess we'll be stripping it back off the car and sending it back to him to have the new motor mount perches welded on and exchange the big block motor mounts for the Hemi ones.

The decision to go with a 572 Hemi instead of the 512 B stroker was made after taking into consideration the cost of each build. The Hemi is more expensive but it's not a great leap beyond what he would have had to spend with his previous plan. There's no denying that there will be an extra WOW factor that the supercharged all aluminum Keith Black Hemi will have and it was also a factor in the decision.

So, now we've got most of the components sitting on the shelf for a blown 512 and nowhere to use them. We discussed dropping it in the funnycar but I've always wanted to use that early Hemi that I've got for it. I guess we'll be scratching our heads for awhile trying to figure out what to do with it.

Hmmm... That dually already has a 400 in it...

Woo hoo. Aluminum KB!!!! Now that's a party.

There's no doubt about it, my son sure knows how to keep things interesting. I can't help but feel that I'm playing with stuff that's way beyond my pay grade. (definitely beyond my pocketbook)

It sounds like there's a pretty long waiting period for the blocks from KB. If we're lucky we'll have one here by next Summer. That ought to give us a lot more research time. - Not sure about Stage V heads yet. Mike had suggested the Edelbrocks. The kid's got to save up quite a few more pennies before we can order the rest of the parts we'll need.

The hope is to at least get the block, heads, and crank asap along with a fresh 8-71. That way we'll be able to mock everything up inside the car. I imagine I'll be modifying the hole in the hood. With the bare bones, we should be able to mock up all of the accessories/pulleys that will be on the front of the motor and possibly get some custom stainless headers fabbed.

It seems like an insane amount to spend on a "street" motor but he thinks he'll have around 30G in the engine. Personally, I think he's getting pretty far down the wacky trail but as long as he's footing the bills, I'm just going along for the ride. If it was me I'd have rather spent that 30G on a milder motor goal, a tow vehicle, and an enclosed trailer.

Last edited:
Wooden spoons...... Still cringe in fear when someone brandishes one.

Dad's belt, he only used it on me once. That is all it took when I was 6.
Or mom's voice saying wait until your father gets home......
Be waiting in fear of when dad came home.

Ah dads belt, cut from Jason's golden fleece, just the belt untreading from the pants will send chills down your spine.

you guys are crazy.

9132013060434-jpg.jpg

View attachment 9132013060434.jpg

Last edited:

Ah dads belt, cut from Jason's golden fleece, just the belt untreading from the pants will send chills down your spine.

Dang! I knew I couldn't have been the only one. To this day, I still get nervous around leather.

4cba90d206ce88a392c9c97027fc85fb-jpg.jpg

View attachment 4cba90d206ce88a392c9c97027fc85fb.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back