Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Whenever I've added detailing to the race track I've kept to 1/32 scale. This Carrera track is capable of supporting 1/24 scale cars. I've got 2 for it now. - an XKE Jaguar and a Corvette. They're older cars and don't handle very well but the larger scale looks really cool going around the course.

I've been determined to get a pair of 1/24 scale cars to add that will look and perform better. There doesn't seem to be a big variety of 'hard bodied' cars available. Some places sell those clear plastic bodies that can be easily mounted on a chassis but I don't think the detailing is very good.

It seemed like the best option was to build my own out of model car kits. I searched around online to see which two cars I'd want to make. After a few days I decided they should be A-Bodies that are RACE cars. This is what I've come up with.

$_57.JPG

AMT924-2.jpg

What better than a couple of Chrysler Kit Cars! I saw a few of them racing back in the day around here and always thought they were cool. Here are some pics I found online of models other guys had built. I may just go with the themes that are pictured on the boxes but am gleaning ideas from images of other's builds.
baead86dadddf00ef1f282ce3547d7f7.jpg

bk87.jpg

dodge_dart2.jpg

kel1a.jpg

ramostottdecals.jpg

burgerking7.jpg

cush1.thumb.jpg.80c54b1b270234417761394df8149f36.jpg

John, you been gone so long my roof update is buried already. No comments from peanut gallery................... waaaa!

John, you been gone so long my roof update is buried already. No comments from peanut gallery................... waaaa!

You know I always try to keep an eye on your build thread so I can steer you away from adding curb feelers and a bobbing head chihuahua. FABO isn't sending me all the notices that they used to on threads I'm watching. I checked my spam folder and they're not there either. Maybe I need to see if my settings got changed.

Without major updates to my thread I've been absent more than usual but that should change when the Charger parts start flowing in. Lately I've been twiddling my thumbs with the Halloween, dollhouse, and racetrack stuff. - It's not quite A-body enough to warrant blow by blow progress each day.

That having been said, I did get the little plastic people for the track. Surprisingly they don't look as Chinese as I'd expected. Purchasing unpainted ones was my cheapest option. Detailing them is a pain in the butt.
IMG_8084.JPG

IMG_8085.JPG

There was sort of a 50s or 60s vibe about them. - Lots of suits and dresses, guys with hats... I've tried to modernize them a bit with my paint choices. A lot of the guys will appear to be wearing blue jeans and some of the women will have the legs of their pantsuits painted to look like they're wearing shorts, tennis shoes, sunglasses, etc, etc...
IMG_8081.JPG

IMG_8082.JPG

IMG_8083.JPG

They're small enough that they look good from a few feet away. I mocked the MP4 player up next to them and I think it adds a bit more realism to the layout. Once I get them all painted I'll have to decide where they'll be permanently placed and glue them down. For now I've just propped them up against other stuff.
IMG_8088.JPG

I decided to load the MP4 player with vintage racing footage to resemble a live feed from the track. A bunch of the films are downloaded videos of the NASCAR RACING computer game that I got off of YouTube.

Last edited:
It may not seem like much of an accomplishment but I finally finished painting the 60 plastic people for the track. The MP4 player and figures are mounted down now too. I thought I'd post a few pictures of how it's coming along.
IMG_8093.JPG
IMG_8094.JPG
IMG_8095.JPG
IMG_8096.JPG
IMG_8097.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8099.JPG
IMG_8100.JPG
IMG_8101.JPG
IMG_8102.JPG
IMG_8103.JPG
IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8105.JPG
IMG_8107.JPG
IMG_8107.JPG
IMG_8109.JPG
IMG_8090.JPG

I'm in awe, John! That is fantastic!

Thanks Anders. I keep trying to think of inexpensive add-ons I can make. Last night I printed out a bunch of billboards to put along some of the straight sections. I'm not sure if I like all of them after I got them installed. I'd thought about putting them on the curves to act as a taller guardrail but wasn't sure the cars wouldn't tear right through if at full speed.
IMG_8113.JPG

IMG_8114.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8117.JPG

IMG_8118.JPG

I'll probably move some of them around if I can figure out a better placement.

Last edited:
Parts are starting to roll in for the Charger. My son's been ordering stuff and having it shipped here. - Not a lot of major components but enough to keep me busy this Winter.

Additions to the racetrack project are winding down. I'd been hitting it pretty hard knowing that I wanted it done before the Charger project got kicked back into gear.

I ordered another 50 'little people' because I thought the crowd looked too sparse. This time I spent a few more bucks by ordering ones that were pre-painted. The online photos didn't look as detailed as the ones I painted but they'll still act as a good filler in areas that aren't so easy to see.

I did end up rearranging some of the sections of billboards. - And while I was at it I added a bunch more L.E.D.s at locations that seemed dark.
IMG_8137.JPG

IMG_8135.JPG

IMG_8124.JPG

IMG_8125.JPG

I made a couple of tables out of card stock and straws to set beneath the HOTROD Television tent. I even made tiny copies of HOTROD magazines that I pasted on top of them for sale.
IMG_8129.JPG

One of my other goals was to install NASCAR RACING 2003 on the computer attached to the movie theater screen. Years ago I'd purchased all of the car racing computer games that came out and had enjoyed them quite a bit. I thought they'd add another dimension to the car themed basement. I never cared for the driving games that were made for consoles. They never seemed as realistic to me and you weren't able to customize them as much. I suppose most people don't know that there were a ton of websites that you could download 'mods' for computer games. I like older cars so I added other carsets to use along with the original 2003 NASCAR cars that came with the game. They really look good on a 6' tall screen. Now I'll have to see if my old 'force feedback steering wheels are still stored at the farm.
IMG_8140.JPG

IMG_8141.JPG

IMG_8144.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

Cool stuff!

Agree on cool John. When I was a kid I got a little in slot car racing, there was a couple places that sprung up that had slot tracks. I can't remember what scale they were but think the cars were larger than yours - I think I still have them in the attic somewhere. They were made by Cox, one was a Ferrari Indy car and the other was called a Cheetah that I remember looking a little like today's Dodge Viper. The Cheetah was really fast but I could never hold it on the track. The slot car places went out of business and so went my hobby, but it was sure fun while it lasted.

Cool stuff!

Agree on cool John. When I was a kid I got a little in slot car racing, there was a couple places that sprung up that had slot tracks. I can't remember what scale they were but think the cars were larger than yours - I think I still have them in the attic somewhere. They were made by Cox, one was a Ferrari Indy car and the other was called a Cheetah that I remember looking a little like today's Dodge Viper. The Cheetah was really fast but I could never hold it on the track. The slot car places went out of business and so went my hobby, but it was sure fun while it lasted.

Thanks guys.

I suspect that most of us that have made the effort to join a site dedicated to cars have a passion for almost everything automotive (except ricers). We'll probably never outgrow the fascination.

My recollection of the Cox cars is that they were one of the high end brands back in the day. I don't remember seeing stores devoted to selling toys when I was young. We always waited for the JC Penneys, Montgomery Wards, and Sears Christmas catalogs to come out so we could drool over all the cool stuff. Around home the local hardware stores always sold toys but the selection was limited. There was a HOBBY TOWN in Lincoln that was (in my mind) total nirvana. They always carried slot cars. After buying one of their catalogs I saw on a newsstand, I got some stuff from AUTOWorld.

The old COX cars bring pretty good money these days. This Cheetah's for sale on eBay right now for $160 but I've seen a few on there for way over a grand.
s-l1600.jpg

I still think the 1/24th scale cars would look the best but I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing any yet. I got outbid on eBay on the few Chrysler Kit cars I was going to get. Now I'm having second thoughts about going that route. As wide as the track is, the width still seems better suited for 1/32. Those 1/24th scale cars just don't have much room to fishtail around corners. I'm not certain but I think Teresa is going to get me a few more vintage 1/32 Nascars for Christmas.

I think I may copy the pics of my scale stuff onto the 'Diecast and Models' forum. There usually aren't a lot of new posts there.

Last edited:
Wonderful work,Mr.John.... Just stunning...The kicker, for me: the "live videp feed screen".....

Wonderful work,Mr.John.... Just stunning...The kicker, for me: the "live videp feed screen".....

I got the idea of adding the MP4 player while looking for parts for Teresa's dollhouse. Somebody on eBay was selling functional 1/12th scale televisions, vending machines, and arcade games. They were pretty pricey but I figured I could make her stuff like that for a lot less. I'll probably put a functioning TV and computer monitor in the house I'm building for her. My cost will be about $25 for each.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I suspect that most of us that have made the effort to join a site dedicated to cars have a passion for almost everything automotive (except ricers). We'll probably never outgrow the fascination.

My recollection of the Cox cars is that they were one of the high end brands back in the day. I don't remember seeing stores devoted to selling toys when I was young. We always waited for the JC Penneys, Montgomery Wards, and Sears Christmas catalogs to come out so we could drool over all the cool stuff. Around home the local hardware stores always sold toys but the selection was limited. There was a HOBBY TOWN in Lincoln that was (in my mind) total nirvana. They always carried slot cars. After buying one of their catalogs I saw on a newsstand, I got some stuff from AUTOWorld.

The old COX cars bring pretty good money these days. This Cheetah's for sale on eBay right now for $160 but I've seen a few on there for way over a grand.
View attachment 1714990916

I still think the 1/24th scale cars would look the best but I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing any yet. I got outbid on eBay on the few Chrysler Kit cars I was going to get. Now I'm having second thoughts about going that route. As wide as the track is, the width still seems better suited for 1/32. Those 1/24th scale cars just don't have much room to fishtail around corners. I'm not certain but I think Teresa is going to get me a few more vintage 1/32 Nascars for Christmas.

I think I may copy the pics of my scale stuff onto the 'Diecast and Models' forum. There usually aren't a lot of new posts there.

Man, now see what you did? I am going to go dig around to see if I still have that Cheetah somewhere. If you don't hear from me in 48 hours, send a search party.

Man, now see what you did? I am going to go dig around to see if I still have that Cheetah somewhere. If you don't hear from me in 48 hours, send a search party.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to dig up all of that old stuff. If everything is still in good shape it could finance part of the Barracuda restoration if you choose to sell it.

I've been somewhat of a packrat. I held onto things that I'll never use but I did end up eventually throwing away because I got tired of the clutter. I really pushed myself to get that racetrack set up as quickly as I could so that it wouldn't become just one more thing taking up storage space. I think it'll provide years of entertainment and maybe my boys will keep it when I'm gone.

Some of the hobbies we had when we were young are worth rekindling.

Last edited:
The supercharger parts started showing up for the Hemi a few days ago. Most everything came from The Blower Shop. The intake came from Ray Barton.

We'll still have to mock up the blower on that plastic motor so we can figure out the snout length for the drive and see if it all fits the opening in our hood. Keith Black hasn't shipped the block to MRL yet so we've got a little time to sort out our pulley/accessory system before we have to send these parts off to Mike.

Maybe you'll be lucky enough to dig up all of that old stuff. If everything is still in good shape it could finance part of the Barracuda restoration if you choose to sell it.

I've been somewhat of a packrat. I held onto things that I'll never use but I did end up eventually throwing away because I got tired of the clutter. I really pushed myself to get that racetrack set up as quickly as I could so that it wouldn't become just one more thing taking up storage space. I think it'll provide years of entertainment and maybe my boys will keep it when I'm gone.

Some of the hobbies we had when we were young are worth rekindling.

Well...I have been scratching my head and wondering where those 2 slot cars went! Pretty sure I had seen them not too long ago, but man my memory these days! I checked the usual haunts -house closets and shelves in the garage. Its amazing how I go to look for something I really want such as these slot cars and find a bunch of other stuff that I tell myself "why in the heck did I save this junk?". I got a few closets left to tear apart , my attic and an attic at my fathers house, and then shake down my son and brother for potential thievery. Oh well, it will probably turn up in a year or two!

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving John.

Well...I have been scratching my head and wondering where those 2 slot cars went! Pretty sure I had seen them not too long ago, but man my memory these days! I checked the usual haunts -house closets and shelves in the garage. Its amazing how I go to look for something I really want such as these slot cars and find a bunch of other stuff that I tell myself "why in the heck did I save this junk?". I got a few closets left to tear apart , my attic and an attic at my fathers house, and then shake down my son and brother for potential thievery. Oh well, it will probably turn up in a year or two!

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving John.

I hate it when that happens! Seems like I spend more time searching for stuff than I do anything else. I don't know if it's a sign that my memory is going or if it means I've accumulated too much junk to dig through. What bugs me the most are the things I just had a few minutes earlier and the stuff I put in 'special' spots so I wouldn't lose them.:BangHead:

Have a happy Thanksgiving yourself!

Last edited:
A buddy of mine stopped over the other day asking for help selling his '55. If I was 10 years younger and had less irons in the fire I'd think about snatching it up myself and turning it into a 2-Lane Blacktop clone. He doesn't own a computer so he had me take photos of it to post on Craigslist.

IMG_8150.JPG
IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_8152.JPG
IMG_8153.JPG
IMG_8154.JPG
IMG_8155.JPG
IMG_8156.JPG
IMG_8157.JPG
IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_8159.JPG
IMG_8160.JPG
IMG_8161.JPG
IMG_8162.JPG
IMG_8163.JPG
IMG_8164.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8166.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG
IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8169.JPG
IMG_8170.JPG
IMG_8171.JPG
IMG_8172.JPG
IMG_8173.JPG
IMG_8174.JPG
IMG_8175.JPG
IMG_8176.JPG
IMG_8177.JPG
IMG_8178.JPG
IMG_8179.JPG
IMG_8180.JPG

Spence came home for Thanksgiving so we pushed the Charger back inside the garage. I was really concerned that the hood would no longer fit. I'd modified it for the 512 with a 6-71 and we never had a chance to see if it would fit with the Hemi and an 8-71. Even though we don't have the new blower snout yet (we need to determine correct length first) we think we'll be pretty close for fit. I may have to notch it further next to where the blower drive will be and the opening is about 2" wider than I'd like on the driver's side now. The reason for the larger gap there is that the old bellcrank throttle linkage stuck out way farther than the new linkage he bought.

I'm really glad we have the plastic mock up block now when we're fitting things together.

IMG_8181.JPG
IMG_8182.JPG

We've actually got more clearance on the firewall side than we had with the old combo. Looks like I could have left the wiper motor on the outside instead of moving it. Oh well, it should look a little cleaner this way I guess.
IMG_8183.JPG
IMG_8184.JPG

We still had the accessories attached to the 400 on one of the engine stands. Before removing them I snapped a few more photos to help us figure out re-assembly when we transfer them to the Hemi.
IMG_8185.JPG
IMG_8186.JPG
IMG_8187.JPG

We scrapped the idea of running an intercooler for the supercharger so we won't be using the compressor or it's brackets now.
IMG_8188.JPG

So far, so good. Even with the scoop in place we're clearing everything as the hood opens and closes. We'll have to figure out a new way to tie the butterfly linkage into the throttle linkage now.
IMG_8189.JPG

Passenger side clearance is where I like it.
IMG_8190.JPG

I'm not sure if I'll try filling this gap. We do have a junk Charger hood out at the farm that I could sliver a chunk out of.
IMG_8191.JPG

The new throttle linkage fits pretty tight against the blower. It will clear the fuel lines much better once they're re-done.
IMG_8192.JPG

What's he looking for,John.....

He said he had some shoebox Chevy expert appraise it and they told him he should be able to get 10 grand for it. He wasn't sure what to ask before that. I have to get back together with him before we can place an ad because I don't know how many other parts might go with what's shown in those pictures. Most of the trim is in excellent shape. He had the engine compartment sandblasted before spraying gray primer over it and I think he had the floorboards blasted too. Overall it seems pretty solid and I think some small patchwork could be done on the areas that have problems instead of forking out for full panels.

Last edited:
-
Back