Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Well, I struck out on those doors but the guy had a few more leads on some others. He told me that he would try to get more info later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but time is not on my side. Larry's going to need something quick.

I did find lower door skin patch panels for sale but I'm not thrilled with the idea of a partial patch.

I've been cleaning parts today. I'm more or less stripping every part down to bare metal in preparation for new paint. The drive shaft was first. Next I'll disassemble each of the engine components (pulleys, brackets, etc...) and then get into the transmission cross member and bumper brackets.

There's another car show coming up this next weekend in Dwight, Nebraska. I feel like skipping it but I've already talked some of my Mopar buddies into taking their cars. Maybe Chrysler will be well represented this year.

I have sometimes had expectations of getting a trophy in the past but I am beginning to believe it's impossible.

When I'd taken the 'Cuda to Des Moines and stayed with my sons for a few days, one of their neighbors was having a garage sale. I walked over to take a look at whatever they had for sale. Amongst the tables full of nick-knacks I spotted a handful of old car show trophies. They were pretty cool looking ones with various 60s cars sculpted in gold on top of them. I asked them how much they wanted for them and was told that they changed their mind about selling them. That's when it should have dawned on me that I can't even buy a trophy! Oh well, :banghead:.

Damn. luv those Cuda photos...glad to see it's all back together. You've been thru alot and the Cuda never looked better.
Do you have any headlight bezel parts left over from your build. dented is okay. I need any parts you can spare. Grille stuf would be gr8, too.
KEEP THAT KID OUTTA DAD'S CUDA!!!!

I know that there were a bazillion Dodge pickups made in the 70s. You would think that it'd be impossible to take 10 steps in any direction without bumping into one. They must have cockroach DNA in them. I know they're out there but when I look I can't find them.

I've been searching for a replacement drivers door for the Express. I found one on eBay but I don't want to sell the house to be able to afford it. Of the dozen or so trucks I've looked at already it's become apparent that too many owners have tried to prove that 'BUILT DODGE TOUGH' advertizing slogan by bashing into everything that stood in their way.

Today I'm tracing down another lead on one that's 30 miles away.

I was dumfounded that I couldn't find replacement shells or door skins. - Surely someone must be re-popping them. I didn't see anything from AMD or Sherman. My Google searches have come up empty. I know that my original door is repairable but I want to keep the truck bondo free.

There is a 78 Macho that was parked around the corner from me for the longest time. It came up missing last weekend. I stopped and asked the guy who was outside (he is in a wheelchair) what happened to it and he traded it to a dealer nearby for a chebby van that had a lift. It was supposed to be about a $1500 trade. To me the truck looked pretty good from the road and had orig paint and wheels.

Here is the kicker - the guy said it had a 400 and was numbers matching and ran.

Would that make a good baseline for you? If you are interested I will try to find it and give it a look over. Then you could buy it, get the truck thing checked off and get back to getting the fish running right and report to us how your cheeks hurt from puckering up and trying to hold on to the seat cushion for dear life.

There is a 78 Macho that was parked around the corner from me for the longest time. It came up missing last weekend. I stopped and asked the guy who was outside (he is in a wheelchair) what happened to it and he traded it to a dealer nearby for a chebby van that had a lift. It was supposed to be about a $1500 trade. To me the truck looked pretty good from the road and had orig paint and wheels.

Here is the kicker - the guy said it had a 400 and was numbers matching and ran.

Would that make a good baseline for you? If you are interested I will try to find it and give it a look over. Then you could buy it, get the truck thing checked off and get back to getting the fish running right and report to us how your cheeks hurt from puckering up and trying to hold on to the seat cushion for dear life.

Thanks for the heads up airwoofer. Those Machos are pretty cool! I know a lot of people think that Chrysler went way over the top with stripes and such around that time, but I love 'em. It'd be hard for me to tear up one of them for parts instead of doing a restore. I wish it was closer to me. I'm afraid that my paint guy isn't going to be patient enough to wait for me to close a deal on that one. I should have had him all of the parts by now already. If this was going to be a more drawn out project I'd probably bite on it too. But, hey I'd love to have you torture me with pictures of it.

If I can't find a door I can get to him within the next few days, I'll order the patch panels.

Larry (my paint guy) does a pretty quick turn around on his restorations/paint jobs. He's usually got 2 or 3 going on at a time and averages 2-3 months to complete most of them. There's a list of guys waiting to get their cars in to him. So, he agreed to take on shooting the 'Lil Red because it was supposed to be a quick in and out with minimal body work.

I do have a couple more door leads to check out today. An ex-classmate of mine from high school asked me if I was interested in his white club cab dually when I met him at the last car show. I think it's a '75 but not sure. I know it's got a big block and a 4 speed. The last time I saw it I was surprised how clean it looked. If he'd be cheap enough I could swap doors between the two. The second lead is another truck about 30 miles away.

Last edited:
Damn. luv those Cuda photos...glad to see it's all back together. You've been thru alot and the Cuda never looked better.
Do you have any headlight bezel parts left over from your build. dented is okay. I need any parts you can spare. Grille stuf would be gr8, too.
KEEP THAT KID OUTTA DAD'S CUDA!!!!

Thanks partsmonsta. I sold half of my extra grill stuff (really cheap) to a member on FABO already. The other half I gave to the guy that helps me find parts. I got tired of the stuff being in my way. I could see if he'd want to part with them when I see him next. I do have an extra front header panel (grill surround) sitting around that's in pretty good shape and a left front fender that's repairable. The 7&1/4 is on my iron pile. I haven't figured out what to do with the old 318 & 904 yet. Oh, I do have an extra dash frame too. I had a perfect set of P L Y M O U T H letters for the front header panel but I sent them off to Australia as a favor to a friend. And I guess I do have a bunch of power steering stuff here too. I do have a pair of front park lights sitting here also.

Last edited:
:blob::blob::blob:keep the dually intact and sell it to me ya that's wat u need to do:blob::blob::blob::blob:
If I can, I'll snap some pics of that dually. Years ago I'd put together a 1972 crew cab dually and I loved it. I don't believe a dually was offered in '72 but I resurrected a '72 crew cab, added an '85 dually box and put a 1 ton suspension / dually rear under it. When I'd seen the movie "Heart Like a Wheel" I decided to clone it into a look alike of the red one Muldowney was using. It turned out really cool. - Sort of hard to parallel park it in my small town though.

Last edited:
I spent a few minutes yesterday looking over the 'Cuda. It runs really rough on initial start up but gradually tends to smooth out. I'm still getting a backfire too. The other day I thought I'd noticed that there was no fuel showing in the rear sight plug. But when I looked more closely I discovered that it was actually too full and I couldn't see the level showing. Maybe it's been flooding itself. That might explain why it tends to clear after being revved a few times. One other thing that I wanted to do was to read the plugs but I haven't taken the time to do that yet. I did take the time to search out potential vacuum leaks and did a visual on the plug wires again. I had to replace 2 of the spark plugs that came installed on the motor before I put it in the 'Cuda. They had gotten broken during transport. There is a possibility I may have another one cracked that I hadn't noticed earlier.

Although I consider it a daily driver, I have been driving the Ford truck most lately instead as I've been hunting down parts. I don't want to sidetrack from the truck build right now because I'm in a rush to get it done. - And I'd like to be thorough when I start to really focus on the Barracuda again.

Is that the same carb it was dyno'd with? Got an 850 double pumper you can put on it?

I have a couple Holleys I will never need or use that you can have for the shipping just to get that hotrod going.

Thanks for the offer airwoofer. Yes, it is the same carb that came with the engine. I've got a couple of fresh Edelbrocks and 4 near new Holleys here as well. I don't think I'll be looking to replace the carb that's on it but you never know.

I've got so many projects going on at the same time here and it's a bit of a balancing act trying to keep them all moving forward. Part of why I referenced a "bucket list" in the title of this thread was because I have had a lot of projects that have been sitting idle for years. After a pair of heart attacks I decided that it was time to get them done before I kick off. My oldest unfinished project is my fiberglass T-bucket that I started re-doing as a teenager.

The replacement 360 should be here this Saturday. I'm hoping that I'll have all of the accessory brackets from the original motor removed, cleaned, and repainted before it arrives. I was told that this other engine is painted orange and as much as that's my preferred engine color, I want it to look right for a 'Lil Red. No one had Chrysler blue paint in town so I'll have to make a 25 mile run to Columbus for some. - Or order from JEGS. I decided to clearcoat the exhaust manifolds. The NAPA store here listed a 2000' temp clear that I ordered.

img_1767-jpg.jpg

img_1768-jpg.jpg

img_1769-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1767.jpg

View attachment IMG_1768.jpg

View attachment IMG_1769.jpg

Last edited:
going down 11th street in tulsa, couple of weeks ago, stopped at a redlight right beside a guy about my age (approaching dirt status) in what looked to be a perfect lil red express. looked just like new! first one I`ve seen inn many yrs.-----bob

Bob, I live in a town of 2500 and there are 3 of them here and another 2 within a 35 mile radius of me that I know of.

Last edited:
Normally I would have ordered decals from Phoenix Graphix. They seem to be great at reproducing factory decals perfectly. But when Chrysler made the door decals for the 'Lil Reds they made them as a gold print with a clear overlay. The tailgate was made out of die cut vinyl though. My experience has shown me that the factory door design does not hold up as well as the rest. I've noticed severe fading on the door decals of several of these trucks. I chose to get new decals from Graphic Express instead. They seem to be another good company and when they reproduce the 'Lil Red Express door decals they make them out of die cut vinyl. It may not be 'factory correct' but I believe it will stand up better.

img_1771-jpg.jpg

img_1772-jpg.jpg

I'm still cleaning and detailing parts.

img_1770-jpg.jpg

img_1773-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_1771.jpg

View attachment IMG_1772.jpg

View attachment IMG_1770.jpg

View attachment IMG_1773.jpg

Last edited:
The Challenger is coming along without any big issues. It will probably be another two weeks before it's done. As we were researching the car we found out that the damage on it had likely happened after it'd been stolen and the thieves went joyriding in it. Despite the salvage title the car will be every bit as nice as new when it's done.

1-jpg.jpg

2-jpg.jpg

3-jpg.jpg

4-jpg.jpg

5-jpg.jpg

6-jpg.jpg

7-jpg.jpg

8-jpg.jpg

View attachment 1.jpg

View attachment 2.jpg

View attachment 3.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

View attachment 5.jpg

View attachment 6.jpg

View attachment 7.jpg

View attachment 8.jpg

Last edited:
OK. The insanity continues. I bought the club cab dually today. It's got a 400 with a 4-speed. Bedliner, wheel covers,headers, etc... I plan on taking the drivers door off of it for the 'Lil Red and putting the old door on it. The front bumper looks perfect so I will probably swap it too. After I get the 'Lil Red done I'll take care of whatever issues the dually has, put it back together and most likely sell it. I know it needs a new starter and a new tailgate. If I can get the few parts I need off of it for the 'Lil Red, put this back together and break even I'll be satisfied. I only paid $2000 for the dually.

img_1774-jpg.jpg

img_1775-jpg.jpg

img_1776-jpg.jpg

img_1778-jpg.jpg

img_1779-jpg.jpg

img_1781-jpg.jpg

img_1783-jpg.jpg

img_1784-jpg.jpg

img_1785-jpg.jpg

img_1786-jpg.jpg

As I got home from buying the truck, the guys showed up with the replacement 360. They tossed in a fresh radiator, alternator, etc, and even knocked another $100 off the purchase price. It's going to be busy around here over the next few weeks as I try to keep juggling everything. I think my son may be bringing the '70 Roadrunner back by tomorrow too.

View attachment IMG_1774.jpg

View attachment IMG_1775.jpg

View attachment IMG_1776.jpg

View attachment IMG_1778.jpg

View attachment IMG_1779.jpg

View attachment IMG_1781.jpg

View attachment IMG_1783.jpg

View attachment IMG_1784.jpg

View attachment IMG_1785.jpg

View attachment IMG_1786.jpg

Last edited:
OK. The insanity continues. I bought the club cab dually today. It's got a 400 with a 4-speed. Bedliner, wheel covers,headers, etc... I plan on taking the drivers door off of it for the 'Lil Red and putting the old door on it. The front bumper looks perfect so I will probably swap it too. After I get the 'Lil Red done I'll take care of whatever issues the dually has, put it back together and most likely sell it. I know it needs a new starter and a new tailgate. If I can get the few parts I need off of it for the 'Lil Red, put this back together and break even I'll be satisfied. I only paid $2000 for the dually.

View attachment 1714739292

View attachment 1714739293

View attachment 1714739294

View attachment 1714739295

View attachment 1714739296

View attachment 1714739297

View attachment 1714739298

View attachment 1714739299

View attachment 1714739300

View attachment 1714739301

As I got home from buying the truck, the guys showed up with the replacement 360. They tossed in a fresh radiator, alternator, etc, and even knocked another $100 off the purchase price. It's going to be busy around here over the next few weeks as I try to keep juggling everything. I think my son may be bringing the '70 Roadrunner back by tomorrow too.
hey, are the 1987 1/2 ton tailgates the same as the 70`s? if so, I`ve got a new one. had it in the garage in 87-totalled the truck in hesperia ca., brought the tailgate home, been standing in the barn ever since. had 9000 miles on it, wasn`t even scratched when I put it in there------bob

hey, are the 1987 1/2 ton tailgates the same as the 70`s? if so, I`ve got a new one. had it in the garage in 87-totalled the truck in hesperia ca., brought the tailgate home, been standing in the barn ever since. had 9000 miles on it, wasn`t even scratched when I put it in there------bob

Bob, I just went to test fit a later model tailgate on the dually and found out that the latch mechanism is a totally different design, so they won't interchange. Thanks though. I'll probably have to go back through some of those other pickups I'd looked at when I was searching for a door. One of them might be decent still.

Last edited:
It was not a productive day here today. I had errands to run for household needs and for my uncle. I needed a break anyway.

This evening I finally moved the Barracuda into the garage to check things out. My first focus was on the carburetor. The back bowl took a little over one full turn of adjustment and the front took about 1/4 turn. The levels look good now.

img_1797-jpg.jpg

img_1796-jpg.jpg

Next I figured that I better try to read the plugs. I hadn't pulled any of them since the motor went in and was surprised that those aluminum header gaskets interfered with access when I tried to slip a socket on a few of them. It was no big deal. I just smushed the gaskets a bit with a pliers and all was good.

img_1787-jpg.jpg

img_1788-jpg.jpg

The plugs were not so good though. Black, sooty, and wet. I don't know if the bowl fuel level adjustment will take care of this or not. I may have to drop a few jet sizes if I don't see an improvement.

img_1789-jpg.jpg

img_1790-jpg.jpg

img_1791-jpg.jpg

img_1792-jpg.jpg

img_1793-jpg.jpg

One thing that has me bothered is that the outsides of the plugs were sooty also. I looked the heads over and did not see any traces of exhaust soot coing from the sealing surfaces around the header gaskets. The soot looks as though it was coming from the plugs themselves. It's almost as though the plugs weren't fully seated in the heads. None of them were loose when I pulled them. But I'm not sure that they were tight enough. I know that I was very conservative when I'd replaced the two before the motor went in. I was worried about over-torquing into the aluminum heads.

img_1795-jpg.jpg

A search online tells me that even with aluminum heads I should go 1/2 to 3/4 turn past snug or 18-22 ft lbs.

I guess I'll clean these plugs, re-check gaps, and re-install them as close as I can to the proper torque. Tomorrow I'll find out if things improved. I'll no doubt have to pull the plugs again to re-read them when I get a chance. It's too late tonight and the 'Cuda's too loud for me to want to do any test driving right now.

View attachment IMG_1787.jpg

View attachment IMG_1788.jpg

View attachment IMG_1789.jpg

View attachment IMG_1790.jpg

View attachment IMG_1791.jpg

View attachment IMG_1792.jpg

View attachment IMG_1793.jpg

View attachment IMG_1795.jpg

View attachment IMG_1796.jpg

View attachment IMG_1797.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find,on the dualie I'm jealous. Have been around/ have had great luck ,with Accel / Nippondenso plugs
(NGK ,too....). A old trick,you might already know : use a 3/8 " fuel line section (10" - 12 " length ) , to start and
install those plugs easier. Run it down close,with the hose, cinch it down with the socket. You probably know this already,what the hell.

Nice find,on the dualie I'm jealous. Have been around/ have had great luck ,with Accel / Nippondenso plugs
(NGK ,too....). A old trick,you might already know : use a 3/8 " fuel line section (10" - 12 " length ) , to start and
install those plugs easier. Run it down close,with the hose, cinch it down with the socket. You probably know this already,what the hell.

Thanks Abodybomber, these plugs aren't too bad to get to on this motor. I can actually get my fingers on them to spin them in. I've had a few others though where that trick would've worked great.

Last edited:
Everything's all put back together. I cleaned the plugs, checked the gaps and put them back in. There was no way I could get another half turn tighter after snugging them but I did go over a quarter turn. I know that's tighter than they used to be. I didn't come up with a second timing light to verify my timing so I bumped it back a few degrees for now. I didn't go far enough to screw up the total too much but I figured a couple of degrees retarded might be a move in the right direction if it was off. Tomorrow will be the test. I'll take it to the Dwight car show and see how it behaves. If it's still running rich I'll re-jet when I get home.

I just returned from the Dwight car show. Dwight is a very small town but they managed to attract over 100 cars this year. Mopars were well represented. There was a '71 Charger R/T, a '66 383 Charger, a 440 SIX PACK Challenger, a convertible Challenger, a '70 383 Super Bee, 2 - '69 440 SIX PACK Super Bees, a 2010? Yellow Jacket Challenger, a '71 slant 6 Barracuda, a '74 'Cuda, a '50s Dodge pickup, a 4-door Valiant, a newer Dodge 4-wheel drive pickup, and my '67 Barracuda.

Despite the nice percentage of Chrysler products, Mopars didn't fare very well. I believe the only one that the judges gave an award to was the Yellow Jacket Challenger. - And that may have been due to the fact that there were only a couple of entries in that class. This may not be Chevy country here but the majority of car clubs that put on these shows are comprised of bowtie owners. They have nice cars but unless you want to field a GM product you feel like it's the 60s and you're sporting a dark tan in the back of the bus.

The weather was awesome though and with the increased Chrysler showing, it was still a lot of fun. One thing that I couldn't help noticing was that the crowd (excluding the judges) spent a lot of time around the Mopars. - And when we fired them up there was no mistaking the fact that folks were impressed.

Oh well, you know it's like I've said before, "It's better to lose in a Mopar than to win in a Chebbie."

img_1847-jpg.jpg

img_1848-jpg.jpg

img_1810-jpg.jpg

img_1813-jpg.jpg

img_1814-jpg.jpg

img_1815-jpg.jpg

img_1801-jpg.jpg

img_1803-jpg.jpg

img_1798-jpg.jpg

img_1800-jpg.jpg

Today's classic trivia :

Wasn't it John Milton that wrote "Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven but better to serve in a Mopar than to reign in a Chebby"

― John Milton, Paradise Lost

View attachment IMG_1847.jpg

View attachment IMG_1848.jpg

View attachment IMG_1810.jpg

View attachment IMG_1813.jpg

View attachment IMG_1814.jpg

View attachment IMG_1815.jpg

View attachment IMG_1801.jpg

View attachment IMG_1803.jpg

View attachment IMG_1798.jpg

View attachment IMG_1800.jpg

Last edited: