another power steering question ...

-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
talked this weekend with a bug driver here - an he solves his steering problems with an "steering damper" (i know this parts from off-road-vehicles)

anyone ever tried to "solve" the well-known power steering probs with a solution like this (installing a damper) ??

Cheers
Timo

4 wheelers use those. Problem is I don't know where you would mount it. If you were running a dry sump then there would probably be room for it

Timo, way to think outside of the box. :thumbup:
It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Pick-ups use them and they sell ones for sport bikes. I would imagine that you could put one on the drag link and make a bracket to mount to the frame, but it's only going to be worth it if it functions and is cheaper than a flaming river rebuilt box. I guess it beats the way I "fixed" mine, I just run the fluid a little low :lol:

The steering damper on a VW, is because the VW's front wheels cycle straight up and down not in an arch like your typical a-arm config. That being said it it does note mean a SS will not work. The VW has a lot of bump steer. A stock A body does not. What is exactly your problem? You have the Mopar slop? Basically the steering box is worm and wasn't the best design to begin with. Solutions abound, but replacing your current box with a Firm Feel or similar will solve all your problems. Also replace that hokey rag joint with a nice billet part. You will notice right away.

it´s just a little thinking - how to solve a problem on a cheap way - i know that a firm-feel-unit will give me the best road><tire feeling i can get. But i´m looking for a solution to get the car stable on the highway so i can drive it if only on hand - and also get the car in a straight line while give her a kick on the track

Not a good idea, IMHO. Steering stabilizers are used mostly to mask bump-steer and other problems on trucks with lifted suspensions and/or big tires. Best way to make a Mopar steer and handle is to fix the bad parts. FF boxes are just stock boxes built tighter. The stock steering in 60-79s vintage Mopars is fine in good repair and alignment.

-
Back