Another terribly sad day at The Ricketts home....

-

MMissile

Reaction score
I'm fighting tears as I type this. We had to put our gentle-giant to sleep this morning. Jake came to us about 10 1/2 years ago, from a racer's family. Judy McCormack rescued him at 4 years old. Judy died from cancer, and nobody in the family wanted him. Jack was gonna take him back to the pound. My wife and I, being Husky lovers and rescuers couldn't let that happen to him, again. We've loved Jake's company and silliness for 10 1/2 years. However, his life quality has taken a serious downward turn...and it's just not fair to be in his state. We'll miss him terribly, like all our other passed rescues. He was 50% physically larger than any of our females....and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Godspeed Handsome....

Jake summer 2022.jpg

Jake posed w-smile.jpg

100_1199.jpg

Jake comfy 11-5-21.jpg

IMG_0232.JPG

Last edited:
Oh no.... so sorry to hear. My "best friend" Duke is actually my grandson's dog who is only 1.5 years old and the thought of losing him is unbearable. I can't imagine what you are going through. My condolences....

What a beautiful dog he was! You have our condolences.

Thank you, everybody. I appreciate your sharing with us.
We've had rescue Huskies for 35 years. This always sucks. Unfortunately, we've had to do this 8 previous times....
It's never easier.

I know it is painful. I tell myself after I have to out down any pet or animal that it hurts so damn bad..but my life would have never had been as full without that animal.

I'm fighting tears as I type this. We had to put our gentle-giant to sleep this morning. Jake came to us about 10 1/2 years ago, from a racer's family. Judy McCormack rescued him at 4 years old. Judy died from cancer, and nobody in the family wanted him. Jack was gonna take him back to the pound. My wife and I, being Husky lovers and rescuers couldn't let that happen to him, again. We've loved Jake's company and silliness for 10 1/2 years. However, his life quality has taken a serious downward turn...and it's just not fair to be in his state. We'll miss him terribly, like all our other passed rescues. He was 50% physically larger than any of our females....and didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. Godspeed Handsome....

View attachment 1716092969

View attachment 1716092970

View attachment 1716092971

View attachment 1716092972

View attachment 1716092981
RIP Jake! Sorry for your loss my friend. These fur balls get into our hearts and it is always hard to lose them.

I tell people who are grieving terribly. The grief and sadness you feel, is your payment for all the unconditional love and joy, that they bestow on humans in the short time we are able to be friends/family. In the end, it's a small price, for such a great love. We've always kept saving these souls....

Sorry for your loss. It is always tough losing a member of your family. We have 1 left out of our previous dogs and he is 15 years old.

I tell people who are grieving terribly. The grief and sadness you feel, is your payment for all the unconditional love and joy, that they bestow on humans in the short time we are able to be friends/family. In the end, it's a small price, for such a great love. We've always kept saving these souls....
This exactly sums up my own beliefs and feelings.
So sorry for the loss of Jake. He was a very beautiful boy, and he made your family's life better. Thank you for giving him a loving home and a great life. I am fighting back emotions now too, my buddy Charlie, my avatar picture, is now 10 years old, we rescued him at 9 months, and he is beginning to have what I believe is arthritic problems.
R.I.P. Jake

So sorry, like most of us Coral & I have BTDT... It's painful & to be honest your post brings it right back to the front...We too have had Huskies for a long time, gotta love those furballs...

View attachment 1716092969

View attachment 1716092970

View attachment 1716092971

View attachment 1716092972

View attachment 1716092981
Sorry to hear.
Always sad.

Man..... Sorry to hear it. He will live on in your hearts, memories and stories.

Yep. Sucked big time when we had to put our Golden down 6 years ago. We rescue-adopted Cheyenne at 1.5 yrs old and we had a very good 12 years with her. It felt like I was putting one of the kids down....

Fast-forward 6 years to this past January - We rescue-adopted Freya at the end of January, this year. She just turned 1 yr old on April 29 and we are her 3rd pack. For the life of me, I cannot see why the other 2 dumped her. She is a sweetheart, loves belly rubs from everyone, has no food aggressions, no other dog aggressions, and talks to us like Huskies do when she has to go out. We got a good one, for sure. I am teaching her "Mush!, Gee! and Haw!" when we trot up the driveway in the mornings.

Screenshot_20230503-084556_Gallery.jpg

I look down beside myself, yet you are not there.
I scan the room, the horizon, and remember.
You are gone.
I listen, there is hope you are just sleeping nearby?
The silence is deafening.

Jake was a lucky dog to have you. There is nothing that will patch the hole in your heart left by him. It is an emptiness forged by love. He is well now, take care of yourself.

It sux. And time will heal. But for today it's grieving and a tremendous loss in your life. Your awesome for stopping another one headed to the shelter and giving it a good life....

Chin up! And sorry for the loss...

JW

Aw, man.

Good lookin dog.

The good they bring always outweighs the sadness for the loss.

-
Back