Another torque converter install question

-

clinteg

Reaction score
After installing the torque converter, should it spin completely freely or is there usually a little drag? I'm pretty sure I have it all the way in. Flex plate bolt mounts are 1/2" in. It clicks when I rotate it back and forth so it seems to be engaged. The concern I have is that it spins very freely for 2/3 revolution or so then a light drag for the rest of the 1/3. Is this normal? Is that the surging of the pump I'm feeling? Trans is a 727 with a Dynamic 8" converter. Thanks.

sounds like you got it right. that little bit of drag could be just the weight of the convertor hanging down to the position of the pump gears. the real test is when the tranny is bolted to the engine, does the convertor still turn? then the convertor bolt pads should be about 1/4" or so away from the flex plate.

if you hear the tangs on the pump hitting the converter hub....should be engaged.... it is not going to free wheel much since you got drag from the pump plus the front seal..

if you hear the tangs on the pump hitting the converter hub....should be engaged.... it is not going to free wheel much since you got drag from the pump plus the front seal..

I see. It free wheels pretty well for most of the revolution. I was more concerned with the bit of drag that it has for the 1/3 part of the revolution. I guess it's just the pump. Sounds like I can drive on with it then. Thanks!

-
Back