Another Vibration issue

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I have a similar issue as gunmetal72, but I think mine is from the front end.

Here is my situation.

Driving about 60 down the road and my car will start to hum or vibrate, but more of a hum. It continues as your speed up. If you let off at 60 and let it coast it will go away. If you accelerate it starts up again.

I bought this car last fall and before I stripped it down for a rebuild it was this same way.

I had the rear end apart over the winter and it was clean and had a good wear pattern on the ring and pinion. Everything seemed tight and no issue.

I also noticed that the front wheel bearings were way to loose, to the point the wheel would wobble on the bearing! I tightened and adjusted them properly.

I believe its the front and the bearings are wore because of the loose bearings.

Looking for help with this before I start throwing money into it.

Check u joints for dry or worn bearings. These will often feel tight, but be worn out enough to vibrate at certain rpm range. I chased a vibration/rumble for a few years that would come and go depending on out side temperature and rpm above 3000; it was front u joint that had one dry bearing that would not take any grease. Once replaced all is well

Worn wheel bearings generally make a womp-womp-womp sound, and when turning that sound will change, increase or decease as the bad bearing is loaded or unloaded from body lean.

Letting off the gas won't change a front end vibration either. Only driveline and rear end vibrations go away when the gas is let off.
I'd bet on ujoint also.

U-joints are easy and I will for sure do those!

I may do the front wheel bearings this winter. Thanks guys, I was thinking ujoints but wasnt sure.

you can't even get NEAR a reliable answer with the smidgen of detail.... None of us can drive the car, and that was like going for a road test and not leaving the parking lot

So you saying my question about what is making this wuuuuuurrrrrrrr, squeek, wuuuurrrr noise isnt clear? LOL.

I know its tough to answer from what I've typed, Im just looking for a direction to possibly start.

lol and most of that entire car between there can make that noise, even a exhaust hanger in bad spot can make vibes.
2 things change when you let off the gas, exhaust pulses and everything from the front half of the trans forward, everything else is still within the same rpm it was from the back half of the trans to the tires. Some other things change also, but WE never left the parking lot.

D E T A I L the answers comes from details

-
Back