Anti Freeze Leak from Head Gasket-- HELP

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I just installed a used rebuilt 318.The ad said it had milled 360 heads with adjustable rockers, ran great needed nothing and had a couple thousand miles on it. I installed the engine got it running but was hearing ticking from the #7 and #8 pistons. Not really bad but definitely noticeable, I'm not a mechanic and I was told it might be a sticking lifter or it's because it sat for several months and should work its way out. I drove it for about 300 miles and now it looks like I have an anti freeze leak from the head gasket on #7 piston. After further investigation I found out the rockers were stock and not adjustable (I had ordered a set of adjustable rockers). Anyway my problem is the leak, what can cause an anti freeze leak from the head gasket?. Is it simply replacing the gasket or should I expect something worse? Would the ticking have anything to do with the head gasket failure? What should I look for when I pull the head off?

Either the heads are warped, not torqued correctly or the surfaces were not cleaned properly.
Do the plugs on 7-8 look different than the others?
If they do, I would pull both heads and have a really good look.
If the guy said it had adjustable rockers and it does not, then he probably lied about everything else too. (Adjustable rockers would be really easy to verify as you found out) and he lied about that.
It wouldnt surprise me to find out the heads were not even torqued at all.
If the plugs look about the same on all cylinders then chk the torque of the head bolts.
If they are within spec then pull the heads and inspect them for old gasket material and see if you can tell if the surfaces look milled (should still look pretty clean and shiney under the gaskets)
An engine that sat for a few monthes would'nt have valvetrain issues just from sitting.

Pictures will be a BIG help for us to help you after you have the heads off.
Some really good pics of 7-8 cyl would be a big help.

If you're sure it's coming from the head gaskets the heads gotta come off! Period. If they didn't torque them down right the gaskets are shot now anyway. The ticking you hear may be compression leaking from one cylinder to the next. I'd pull the heads & check them for straightness & have them pressure tested for cracks if you plan on using them again. They may not even be 360 heads if he lied about the rockers. Check the block surface too. You never know what they could have butchered up.

Thanks for all the replies, after further invetigation it looks like the header stud on number 7 was loose. I drained the radiator took out the stud, cleaned it and blew out the hole. Put some gasket sealer on the stud and tightened it back up. Let it dry over night put the washer\nut on and everthing seems fine. Still have the ticking but my adjustable rockers should be here this week. THANKS

Thanks for all the replies, after further invetigation it looks like the header stud on number 7 was loose. I drained the radiator took out the stud, cleaned it and blew out the hole. Put some gasket sealer on the stud and tightened it back up. Let it dry over night put the washer\nut on and everthing seems fine. Still have the ticking but my adjustable rockers should be here this week. THANKS

Man, that is cool. Isn't great when problems are a simple fix?

Man, that is cool. Isn't great when problems are a simple fix?

That is great that someone told you that issue before you tore everything down. It is common on these engines.

That is great that someone told you that issue before you tore everything down. It is common on these engines.

To be honest, I totally forgot about the end studs. (Been dealing with a 360 AMC engine that is constantly driving me buggy).

-
Back