Any books on vacuum advance and timing???????

-

duster360

Reaction score
Are there any books that explaining distributor vacuum advance and ignition timing? Also how to tune them?

Books?
You have internet access, so every topic on the planet is available to you online.

And there sure is a lot of crap and misinformation online as well as differences of opinions on the best method to use. Vacuum method of setting timing, seat of the pants method, ported or non-ported vacuum, performance tuning, MPG tuning, etc.

I, like the OP, would love to find a book that laid it all out in terms I can understand (took me several months before I figured out a dizzy was a distributor). Plus a book gives me a reference I can go to anytime without having to search for topics online. Old habits die hard I guess.

And there sure is a lot of crap and misinformation online as well as differences of opinions on the best method to use. Vacuum method of setting timing, seat of the pants method, ported or non-ported vacuum, performance tuning, MPG tuning, etc.

I, like the OP, would love to find a book that laid it all out in terms I can understand (took me several months before I figured out a dizzy was a distributor). Plus a book gives me a reference I can go to anytime without having to search for topics online. Old habits die hard I guess.

Because we all know books are exempt from varying opinions and misinformation, right? :D

As with anything, you have to consider the source obviously.

(took me several months before I figured out a dizzy was a distributor). .

And so far's I'm concerned, "it's not." I never even HEARD the term "dizzy" or "carby" until Al Gore's internet got wound up

So far as the FBO book, that is one "take." His thinking takes a complete turn-around from what I'm used to and what OEM "did" This in part might be why it's all so confusing.

Furthermore, "smog" strategy (emissions control) which occupied CA from 66, and Federal U.S. since 68 has muddied the water, as you have what is

best for mileage

best for all out performance

"best?" for emissions control.

AbodyJoe posted this I believe:

yup, everyones engine will be a little different...

here are a couple articles that are pretty decent on how to tune your distribitor for more performance.

timing1.jpg

timing2.jpg

timing3.jpg

timing4.jpg

And so far's I'm concerned, "it's not." I never even HEARD the term "dizzy" or "carby" until Al Gore's internet got wound up

So far as the FBO book, that is one "take." His thinking takes a complete turn-around from what I'm used to and what OEM "did" This in part might be why it's all so confusing.

Furthermore, "smog" strategy (emissions control) which occupied CA from 66, and Federal U.S. since 68 has muddied the water, as you have what is

best for mileage

best for all out performance

"best?" for emissions control.

AbodyJoe posted this I believe:

Thanks, that's the one I was looking for.

If anyone recommends that you use the total timing method.... RUN!!!!

There isn't one strategy that works for every car. Set initial using the Vacuum method and it doesn't start when hot... what do you do? Setting timing lots of times is an exercise in compromises. Has to be a fluid approach.

I think it was mentioned, every engine is a little different. Any book numbers from mopar FSM won't be close to optimal, even for a stock engine in most every case.

Basically here's a simple method.
Set initial where engine wants it.
Find total number and tailor mechanical advance to hit that number.
Get springs that allow better curve.
Mess with Vacuum advance.

An engine that has a lean mixture requires more timing to "light" the lean mixture than an engine that is running rich. That's sort of where vac adv comes in. On cruise it adds timing so the mixture can be leaner. The trick - finding the balance. Another problem with vac adv is having the correct amount for the engine and having the right Vac Adv can or coming up with a method to pull timing out of the can.

Because we all know books are exempt from varying opinions and misinformation, right? :D

As with anything, you have to consider the source obviously.

True enough. I figure that if someone went through all the time and expense of publishing and distributing an actual physical book, is able to sell them, goes through a couple of editions and /or printings, they have a little more credibility than anyone who knows how to post something online. Sometimes.

True enough. I figure that if someone went through all the time and expense of publishing and distributing an actual physical book, is able to sell them, goes through a couple of editions and /or printings, they have a little more credibility than anyone who knows how to post something online. Sometimes.

You are certainly right about that.
Problem is, the people with all the varying opinions did exactly that. :D

Now I'm just being a PIA. :D
Google knows everything there is to know, it's a matter of filtering sources and cross checking.

Awesome link. ..led me to find this page from their site...
http://www.mopar1.us/tech.html

Tons of good info. ...thanks for the lead....bookmarked!!!!!

Jeff

Thanks for the link!
For me the majority of my struggle was the terminology... all in, total timing etc. Without getting the timing figgered out I can't adjust carb. Carb was basically bolted on idle adjusted. And that's it. I be tweakin the dizzy too. Can't wait till spring!

You don't need a book.

Step 1:

Block vacuum advance off; Set initial timing 32-38 initial. Take trip to verify best performance. Fast burn heads take less timing!

Step 2:

Connect vacuum set 12-16 degrees for best economy. Add till it bucks, then back it off a couple degrees. This DOES NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE! It falls off once you get above the RPM vacuum it takes to make it work.

Step 3:

Verify 46-52 total. Fast burn heads take less timing! Dun.

I figure that if someone went through all the time and expense of publishing and distributing an actual physical book, is able to sell them, goes through a couple of editions and /or printings, they have a little more credibility than anyone who knows how to post something online. Sometimes.

Well I've read plenty of "books" at my age that turned out to be bowlsheit

^Yup, just because it's printed doesn't make it true. Take the Bible for instance... :cheers:

There are more than a few really good articles. You just need to come from the perspective of not looking for validation of what you want to do. There are many ways to skin this cat.

-
Back