Any Dodge Techs

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2004 Ram 1500 and the brakes lights won't turn off. It does not matter if the key is on or off. I have to disconnect the battery to get them to turn off. The 3rd brake light quit working all together and the ABS brake warning light came on too.
I tried replacing the brake switch with a new one but it didn't work. I might have screwed it up when I installed it though. I flipped the set lever before I had it in the bracket. Does anyone know if that matters? Any help would be welcomed.

If you did not follow that little instructions sheet when you set the throw of the switch, you may get to buy another and do it again! Sorry.
Tom

My first thought would be to check your trailer plug if you have one. It could be corroded and back feeding into the brake lights.

Until you get it figured out it would be easier to just pull the brake light fuse, then it's still moveable.

Let,s hope it,s a brake switch problem and not the body control module& the wiring for it,mrmopartech
Seen the brake pedal stay on,the tipms faulty or needed to reboot the computor,this is a computor for the lighting system,MMT

Update; This morning when I went to go to work, I put the negative battery cable back on and the brake lights were out. Hit the brake pedal a few times and they worked perfectly. Drove it all day and no problems. I came home and wanted to add some washer fluid, but when I opened the hood the lights came on again. Ok, what to hell. I started looking for loose or corroded wires. Then I glanced at the underside of the hood, there it was, a rusted up mercury safety switch for my remote starter. I cleaned it up and greased it and it all good now.
Badsport was on the right track with a corroded wire back feeding into the brake lights. Thank you all.

-
Back