Any guide cutter you like?

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got my valve job done and did some measurements today. I’m going to have to cut the guides down to make proper clearance between keepers and seal. I want to do it myself rather than take it back to the machine shop. I know there are cutter’s available from cam companies and from Goodson. Is there a cutter that you’ve used and can recommend?

Thanks anyway guys; I just ordered the Howards .531 cutter and Manley .530 Viton seals. Feel free to speak up if you don’t like these or the combination.

Last edited:
Oops, I actually ordered .530 seals. I went back and edited my post. Thanks.

I didn’t see any .531 seals at Summit so I thought.001 would make them tighter and not particularly hard to install. Any experience with that? I went with the Howard cutter because the mandrel came with it.

Last edited:
I bought the guide, and spring seat cutters I have from Comp Cams. They have all worked very well.

Tom
Thanks for the input. I did my heads yesterday and the Howard’s worked fine. Sneaked up on the measurement I needed on the first one, set a depth stop for my drill off that one and the other fifteen were done in minutes. Used CRC on one head, nothing on the other. Couldn’t tell any difference except in the cleanup of the chips with the lube.

IMG_1536.jpeg

IMG_1542.jpeg

-
Back