Any ideas on this issue??

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Lets play the "what the heck is this noise" game.

Early this week a new noise has popped up. It got a little worse yesterday.

My Coronets 440 has a alternator and Power steering, and the water pump of course up front, and the 727 for a transmission.

I have developed a noise i wouldnt call a squeal, but it sounds like a rotating bearing going bad. Not a squeal though. And it isnt really effected that much by rpm.

So, today, i was paying more attention, it does it in Park, Nuetral and Drive.

So i am ruling out the input shaft bearing on the trans.

I took off the Power Steering belt, the alternator belt and started the car.

It still made the noise.

I thought it may be some strange vacume leak, so i squirted starting fluid around the intake manifold and carb.

No change,

Thought it may be some strange airfilter leak, so i took the air cleaner off with the motor running.'

Same sound. If i go from Drive to nuetral or Park the noise stops for a few seconds and starts again.

I dont know what else it could be,

Anyone got any ideas?

That's a hard one. Try plugging off all vacuum lines. Distributor? Torque converter? Hold a wooden dowel to your ear on various parts of the engine might help.

loose bolts on the torque convertor, had the same problem...may also be a cracked flex plate, the way i found it (unfortunatley) was after my tires finnally hooked, and it broke the flex plate, ate the bolts and left me walking...damn horsepower and torque anyway!

loose bolts on the torque convertor, had the same problem...may also be a cracked flex plate, the way i found it (unfortunatley) was after my tires finnally hooked, and it broke the flex plate, ate the bolts and left me walking...damn horsepower and torque anyway!

I was thinking torque converter too, but it does it in park. Its not spinning the flex plate in park though. Could be the torque converter though. The innards are still spinning when in park isnt it?

I had the bad flex plate tick on my Scamp, and replaced it, totally different sound though, two of the ears were bad, on was gone, the other was crack half way through.

That's a hard one. Try plugging off all vacuum lines. Distributor? Torque converter? Hold a wooden dowel to your ear on various parts of the engine might help.

Could it be the bearing in the distributer? Never had that happen before.

WTF................ removed inpection plate, TC bolts not loose, no leaks either.

Started it up, no noise. took it for a drive, about 2 miles or so, noise started.

Came back, jacked up car.

Its not coming from the bell housing. it sounds like its coming from the front of the motor.

I ran it yesterday without the belts hooked up, so Alt, PS and Water Pump were not turning. And it still made the sound.

WTF..... Crankshaft?????, definatley sound like the front of the motor.

Sounds kinda like a belt does when its squealing on a pully lighyly. But it did it without belts on it.

arrrggg

Check your starter - just in case.

I had one housing break near the tip, the broken part would occasionally hit the flywheel, but it was too big to fall out.

Front seal running dry on the balancer. Is there a slinger there ?

I had a slinger come loose on a 340; probably the same noise. But mine made a scratching sound.

Mullinax- Nope checked them, all bolts are tight on the pulleys and balancer.

Alaskan- Its not making the noise at the rear, i was under there with the engine running.

RedFish, ummm dont know, the engine is from a 70 Chrysler.

Speedthrills- My next guess, or the distributer bearing, although i listened to it, and it sounded ok. Oil pump bearing??

63 Dartman, Trans fluid is full and red, no burn smell present.

green1, pardon my dumbness, where is the oil slinger at?

It was too nice of a day to have it stay in the garage, went on a cruise, 70 mph down the freeway , no odd noise, just at low speeds.

Still made the noise at low speeds, but 60 miles didnt seem to change anything, still made the noise at home, no better no worse.

Had a neighbor listen all over with a dowl, couldnt figure it out either.

Strange, after changing the oil, driving it to work and back, re-timing after the petronix fiasco and taking for a drive, the noise is gone, weird, dont know what it could have been.

If just an oil change stpped the noise the end of your dipstick must have been touching something. LOL
Good luck with it.

Check the end play on the crank. I've seen a few engines get a worn thrust bearing and allow the crank to "walk" back and forth sometimes clipping the windage tray, other intenal parts, or the balancer might rub the timing cover under certain conditions. Strange it would go away though....maybe the old oil was thinner than the new oil?
Thanks, Mark

Check the end play on the crank. I've seen a few engines get a worn thrust bearing and allow the crank to "walk" back and forth sometimes clipping the windage tray, other intenal parts, or the balancer might rub the timing cover under certain conditions. Strange it would go away though....maybe the old oil was thinner than the new oil?
Thanks, Mark

You know, i was thinking that. I will see if i can do that easily. The place i got from changed the oil before i picked it up.

It had a 5w 30 sticker in it. only put 1500 miles on it before the noise started. I put 5w-30 back in it.
The oil change place happened to be a GM Dealer, and the put a ACD Blue filter on it. I have heard that those had a bad reputation.

I cut it open yesterday, but it was all together inside. I looked at the pleats, it did have a few metal particles in it, but not knowing the history of the engine, i wasnt that alarmed.

Maybe it just didnt like having a GM Filter on it. One weird thing, yesterday after work out of the blue, i started it and it had a stuck lifter. Made noise for a few seconds and went away, but had a miss, but it cleared up on the way home.

When i get time i am gonna rebuild that engine.

-
Back