Any source on replacement gasket for 71 gas cap?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey everyone the gasket on my 71 gas cap is shot, any good recommendations for a replacement? I have seen where some have said the gasket from a early mustang cap will work but havent seen anything specifically about a replacement for the 71 cap

8F4A41A8-3B25-40BD-B554-C87CB24F4F02.jpeg

You can always order it at your local auto store and then bring yours up and match it up before you buy.

Can you find some rubber to make another, and glue it on top of yours? Use 3M adhesive or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
They never show the back of the cap They are all 67-70 or 72-76 caps. Have not seen any fit a 71.

Just buy a cap anywhere and steal the rubber.
Is it just rubber? I guess I haven't paid close enough attention. The seal on my 66 cap is cracked and my 70 is good. I would be tempted to get a piece of sheet rubber (or a inner tube if the thickness is close) and make my own. Or like you said, buy a cap and switch the seal over to the original cap.

Nitrile rubber (Buna-n) is the type that is commonly used because it is resistant to gasoline.
A gasket can be made from sheet stock nitrile rubber that is the correct thickness.
A few years ago, I made a replacement gasket of that material for my fuel sending unit lock ring on my fuel tank.

We are learning as we go here but lot's of great info. I see sheet material is easy to come by.

I made one out of an old inner tube that's worked fine for the last 5 or so years. I've got the rest of the tube if I ever need to make a replacement. This is one for the "don't over think it" file.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i crossed over that gates number 31743 provided by @66Valiant528 to a stant 10800 cap from oreillys. We get a little bit of a price break from oreillys through my work so i ordered one with my cost being $10. The gasket swapped over perfectly although the stant cap doesnt fit which i knew it wouldnt. I could of probably bought a large rubber washer from ace hardware and then cut it to match the dimensions but id rather spend some more and not have to fool with it. I tried putting the cap on with the seal dry but could only get it turned 1/4 of the way. I put a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the seal and was able to get it to turn all the way, it is snug but doesnt feel too tight. I assume after awhile of it being compressed it will be a little easier to turn

58EC445A-5EBE-44CD-889E-F6D01299B4C3.jpeg

C39490CA-3629-44AD-92A0-12A4675946A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the vent ever go bad? I checked it and it appears to be working correctly, it is allowing air to be sucked through the vent hole and the valve closes when you try to blow through it

Moto-Rad SX-FHTR gas cap gasket also fits. On ebay for $10

Funny this popped up as Kitty is cutting me a new one out of 1/8 neoprene right now. lol

The one I found is an old NOS chrome steel one with the "hurricane" handle. Even though it's new, the gasket is only made from pressed cardboard. So even though it was new, the cardboard was old and it fit loose. Putting the neoprene behind the cardboard tightened it right up.

-
Back