Any suggestions?

-

Reaction score
Trying to get this rear seal out, 1979 318

Ive removed 4 out of 5 main bearings, loosened the 5th cap so that its off the seat, not sure what Im expecting, its not gonna drop much in the front cause of at least the chain, not gonna drop much in the rear cause of converter.

Not having any luck still though removing that seal, have tapped with a screwdriver both ends, dosent seem to be moving, only absorbing the screwdriver itself.

Trying to pull on it with the screws Ive put up in there and again its still not moving.

I figured it would be best to get some suggestions. Engine is still in the truck.

So far ive removed starter, dust cover and oil pan. Got maybe an hour into it so far and hate to get stuck up now.

Picture 508.jpg

Picture 509.jpg

I've had good luck with a small punch and a few good taps. Just keep the punch towards the block side not the crank ! Also helps to have some rotate the crank while you're doing this. Can be done without removing the other caps.

I've had good luck with a small punch and a few good taps. Just keep the punch towards the block side not the crank ! Also helps to have some rotate the crank while you're doing this. Can be done without removing the other caps.

The only thing thats happening is the punch is going up into the seal, the seal is ( I guess ) crumbling/falling apart and its not moving.

I even put a C-clamp on the bottom flex plate/torque converter bolt to try and take advantage of removing the caps.

Not budging. I guess Ill have to pull the trans, unless someone has a better suggestion. Id assume that would allow the crank to just about dangle.

Picture.jpg

The only thing thats happening is the punch is going up into the seal, the seal is ( I guess ) crumbling/falling apart and its not moving.

I even put a C-clamp on the bottom flex plate/torque converter bolt to try and take advantage of removing the caps.

Not budging. I guess Ill have to pull the trans, unless someone has a better suggestion. Id assume that would allow the crank to just about dangle.

View attachment 1715044354
You wouldn't have to remove the trans. If you are trying to get a little more play at the rear, just remove converter bolts and push converter back towards the trans.

You can always use the other half of the old seal to tap against it, sometimes works and less chance of scratching crank

use a bigger punch, brass is best(less likely to gouge the crank). And/or a smallish flat tipped screwdriver on the edge of the seal furthest away from the crank, because that is where it is glued to the recess in the block. IIRC the recess is tapered, so you only need to separate it a little to break it free. Keep at it.

You wouldn't have to remove the trans. If you are trying to get a little more play at the rear, just remove converter bolts and push converter back towards the trans.
Yeah I thought of this on the way home, I was thinking manual trans for some reason. Thanks though

You can always use the other half of the old seal to tap against it, sometimes works and less chance of scratching crank
I think Im beyond that. Cant see much of any seal at this point cause its all pushed and mashed up into there somewhere.

use a bigger punch, brass is best(less likely to gouge the crank). And/or a smallish flat tipped screwdriver on the edge of the seal furthest away from the crank, because that is where it is glued to the recess in the block. IIRC the recess is tapered, so you only need to separate it a little to break it free. Keep at it.
Ill look closer at this in the A.M Thanks

Trying to get this rear seal out, 1979 318

Ive removed 4 out of 5 main bearings, loosened the 5th cap so that its off the seat, not sure what Im expecting, its not gonna drop much in the front cause of at least the chain, not gonna drop much in the rear cause of converter.

Not having any luck still though removing that seal, have tapped with a screwdriver both ends, dosent seem to be moving, only absorbing the screwdriver itself.

Trying to pull on it with the screws Ive put up in there and again its still not moving.

I figured it would be best to get some suggestions. Engine is still in the truck.

So far ive removed starter, dust cover and oil pan. Got maybe an hour into it so far and hate to get stuck up now.

View attachment 1715044346

View attachment 1715044347

I have had best results using a straight length (8") of 3/16 steel tubing, place it in outer area of groove and beat it on through, it will simply bend and follow the groove around, pushing out the old seal. Be sure and use steel tubing, not the hybrid ni-cop B.S. all the parts house's are pushing, btw, never had any issues with this gouging crank or block

Turned out to be a ropeseal, no way it was coming out like I was trying, unbolting converter still dosent allow converter to go back far enough to disengage crank, have to loosen all trans bolts, slide back trans, drop the crank and go from there.

Wont do it again in the vehicle. Too much to go wrong and I dont like hoping for the best and crossing my fingers on stuff.

-
Back