Any thoughts on AMD aftermarket hoods?

-

shawnus68

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts or comments regarding AMD products, namely the repo GTS hoods? I'm painting my GT and the original hood has lots of checking on the paint. So instead of spending the money on prep, I was thinking of getting a new AMD hood instead.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
-Shawn

Most people like AMD parts. follow some of the threads on here especially the 70 dart swinger 340 in Canada. he purchased almost the whole car from AMD

Can't complain on anything I have bought from AMD. Never bought a hood though.

Thanks for the input.
Can I ask what you bought (fenders bumpers etc)? Just wondering the quality of the fit and overall finish. They have pretty much everything, I'm just wondering if its worth it to search products elsewhere instead.
BTW, I'm not making a show car, it's just that I got a budget (2 kids) that I can't got over (wife)!

Thanks for the input.

I would think if your original hood was in good shape, I would strip it with aircraft stripper.
Much cheaper than a new hood.

I bought that hood for my Dart. It's nice, but the curve of the hood along the fender gap is more severe, requiring me to shim the fenders. You'd be miles and dollars ahead to use the one you have, unless it's damaged.

I bought one for my 68 dart and when we installed it we had no problems.

It's interesting to hear all the different feedback of the AMD parts. Seems its either a hit or a slight miss on fit and finish with them. My hood now is just a plain jane Dart hood thats straight, but with heavy lacquer checking on it. I'm going to spend money either way, so I might as well have a GT/GTS one.

Has anyone used their bumpers? Nice shiny bumpers look great, but not if they rust quickly or not if the fit is questionable.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone, I'm sure we're answering a lot of questions for a lot of people there!

I'm going to look into YearOne products next, so I may start a new thread on that as well.

i have the AMD Dart power bulge hood and the fit is nice...but not perfect.
..Having said that i have looked at a lot of original hoods and most don't seem to be a perfect fit like the flat hoods were and i wonder if AMD used an original power bulge hood for reference?
i think the very slight arch difference between my fender and hood could be carefully fixed with dentless repair rollers...if someone is extra fussy

i have the AMD Dart power bulge hood and the fit is nice...but not perfect.
..Having said that i have looked at a lot of original hoods and most don't seem to be a perfect fit like the flat hoods were and i wonder if AMD used an original power bulge hood for reference?
i think the very slight arch difference between my fender and hood could be carefully fixed with dentless repair rollers...if someone is extra fussy

Beautiful looking car! Is that the AMD hood that's on it now? If so would you be able to take a few pics of it? Thank you.

-
Back