Any thoughts on why Dodge won't make Challenger Convertible?

-

6770Dartman

Reaction score
Any thoughts as to why Dodge won't make a Challenger convertible. Ford and Chevy do it.

It's because the Challenger is a mans car.

Thas RIGHT, 'n we don' wear stupid orange jackets, 'neither

plymouth_barracuda_71_nash_bridges.jpg

'n YA I know it's not a Challenger

Do you know you have a colour shift problem as well ? that's really a yellow car

"EYE" don't have a colour (we spell it color) shift, but the photo this came from does, probably shot from a TV screen. There was actually an article about the awful color that the car WAS ACTUALLY painted in order to make it "look" correct on TV. It is probable from what I've read, that this photo actually depicts more closely the actual color of the car, so that it would appear yellow on the tube.

Any thoughts as to why Dodge won't make a Challenger convertible. Ford and Chevy do it.

Cause they don't wanna spend anymore than they have to keep production costs down, and profit margins up,...probably wouldn't sell more than a couple thousand,....sooo we get to drive what everyone else drives,....boring,...cars for the sheeple...

I ask the same thing about manual trani's....

"EYE" don't have a colour (we spell it color) shift, but the photo this came from does, probably shot from a TV screen. There was actually an article about the awful color that the car WAS ACTUALLY painted in order to make it "look" correct on TV. It is probable from what I've read, that this photo actually depicts more closely the actual color of the car, so that it would appear yellow on the tube.

The color is CATERPILLAR fleet yellow.

Because they would need to lube you up even more before signing the contract?? Wonder what they would rape you for on it???

I think I might have one angle as to why. Because Chrysler doesn't want to ruin their pattern of coming up short on great ideas. They occasionally come up with and develop some great products. E.g bring back the new Hemi, bring back the challenger and then shoot themselves in the foot. Example make the charger a four door, refuse to make any retro convertibles unlike Ford, and Chevy. Continually ignore the masses by not developing a cost effective bare bones car that is all performance without the added frills. This could of been accomplished with the new Dart. Possibly the excuse for this could be that Chrysler feel's the additional cost associated with the tooling and development required to develop additional platforms to greatly expand their performance line isn't a great investment. Surprisingly Chrysler wonders why they never seem to financially achieve what Ford has? Go figure. Sorry if I pissed anyone off but this is how I see it. So frustrating. I feel like they are a lost cause.

Carl

Probably increased costs due to crash regulations and quality control.

I think I might have one angle as to why. Because Chrysler doesn't want to ruin their pattern of coming up short on great ideas. They occasionally come up with and develop some great products. E.g bring back the new Hemi, bring back the challenger and then shoot themselves in the foot. Example make the charger a four door, refuse to make any retro convertibles unlike Ford, and Chevy. Continually ignore the masses by not developing a cost effective bare bones car that is all performance without the added frills. This could of been accomplished with the new Dart. Possibly the excuse for this could be that Chrysler feel's the additional cost associated with the tooling and development required to develop additional platforms to greatly expand their performance line isn't a great investment. Surprisingly Chrysler wonders why they never seem to financially achieve what Ford has? Go figure. Sorry if I pissed anyone off but this is how I see it. So frustrating. I feel like they are a lost cause.

Carl

Your my Hero,...I've been sayin this for almost a decade,...I've sent numourous e-mails to Chrysler and all I ever get back is "thanks for your e-mail and please visit our showroom",...there new motto appears to be "Profits First",....typical corporate thinking....:cheers:

Thanks for the responses. They really don't have a clue. Boring cars trying to relive past glory.

I've been waiting for them to do that since they first announced the Challenger. I have a 71 Challenger convert 340 car, would love to get a new one to park next to it.

Good question. The Challenger was pretty much done when FIAT came along, so as much as we'd like to blame them we shouldn't. I had a friend working for Chrysler and was an engineer working on the body parts for the car. I asked him about a convertible and he said that they "COULD NOT" meet federal crash standards. So it was not cost or profit but actually engineering evaluations that determined it was not possible. My f riend & I had a discussion on the fact that others were able to do it, the Mustang being one prime example. So either they did a poor job evaluating the convertible concept or nobody really wanted to do it.

I read where a Chrysler exec was asked that question. He said they made some prototypes, but couldn't economically attain the body stiffness needed for high horsepower V8s, and they didn't want to offer it only as a V6.

I'm betting the next iteration will include a convertible, and be designed from scratch to handle all engine sizes.

My guess is that uni-body chassis was just not engineered to work without a top, ie, way too much flex with out it and the added weight for stiffening, crash compliance was a no-go. Ford did it with a shorter wheelbase and a new chassis (Not a 300 Chassis) along with GM who probably have more money in the R&D than UAW/Chrysler/Fiat has in its budget. I bet in 2 years the Dart has an SRT or some other hot motor...took Mini a few years to get the Cooper and Fiat about a year to get the Abarth.

Ok Y not make it in a 2 door DUH!!!! they would sell miilions!!!!!!!

Really nothing new. Back in the late 60's and early 70's they let Mr Norm do the pioneering on the big blocks in the A bodies then Ma Mopar took after it after Norm got the bugs out. He's doin it again with the rag top stuff. Go to his site and check em out. NOT CHEAP.
Small Block

-
Back