Any tips for getting hood springs back on?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Bought my 69 dart with the hood springs disengaged. Managed to get my hand in there but definitely not winding the spring up enough to get back on the pin. Starting to look like I may have to take the door off….any tips?

IMG_5306.jpeg

I wanted to switch out one spring on my Dart. Couldn't see any way of doing that without taking the hinge completely out/off. Had to put in a vice and even then it was difficult. Can't imagine how it could be done any other way. Maybe someone here has a easier way ??

You can easily access the brackets through the removable panel inside of the front fender wells. You don't have to go through the top or take the doors off. But you will have to remove both front wheels unless you're Gumby.

Get a large flathead screwdriver and pry off the push nuts that hold the bracket on.

Grab some large channel locks and a vice. Makes swapping springs so much easier. It will take longer to remove them than to replace them. Takes about 30 seconds.

You can get replacement push nuts at NAPA or on Ebay/Amazon.

Stop-Snooping-You-Creep.jpg

Edit: Here are the photos of the access panel and the Spring in the correct orientation

Resized-20220614-185129.jpg

Resized-20220614-190620.jpg

Last edited:
This might be too much for you, but I'd drill out the rivet, throw the spring away and replace the spring with a gas strut.

-
Back