Any tips for Vinyl top removal?

-

AUS_Duster

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips or tricks to remove a vinyl top?

Is a heat gun required? Any advice appreciated.

Yep , good old manual labor . I ripped it off and wire-wheeled the glue off the top .

That's what I'll do then - rip it off! A bit concerned about what i might find under there!?!?

I use a bottle opener to remove the drip rail chrome 1st and then rip it off and use a metal putty scraper to work the rest I can't pull off

That's what I'll do then - rip it off! A bit concerned about what i might find under there!?!?

Rust/missing metal. Personally I wouldn't put a vinyl top back on, too much work to maintain them. That said paint has come a long way and you can "mimic" the look with paint and just reinstall the molding. But that's just me, it is your car so enjoy it that way you want it.

Yep , good old manual labor . I ripped it off and wire-wheeled the glue off the top .

Stripper discs are fantastic. Made from PET (coke bottle plastic). They go on a a normal angle grinder and will rip the glue off. They are also great for ripping of paint without damaging metal. Try Bunnings and I think they are Trojan brand blue in colour.

-
Back