Anybody consider a V6 swap?

-
Where did you get that intake from with the dual carbs? Thats looks freakin sweet!!!

Scott here are a few of the three. The last picture is of the manifold I pick up for the 65 valiant so now I have that with my headers. Now I have to find me a nice mild cam / lifers for the slant 6 more work cut out for me.

Picture 037 (Medium).jpg

Some freind of mine found it in a wrecking yard and pull it off a Dodge a 100 van and give him 50.00 bucks for it but I did'nt like the linkage they had on it so I am making up my own.

That is a pretty cool Dual carb setup. I wonder if there is a 6 pack setup for a /6 :D

j

I wouldn't bother with a 3.9 V6. If you're going to do that, you might as well put in a 318. I say this not because I think a V6 swap in general is a bad idea, but because my experience with the Dodge 3.9 has been less than spectacular.

My g/f had a 2002 Dakota 4x2 with a 3.9 and a 5 speed in it that she bought brand new off the lot. It never got the gas mileage advertised for the 3.9, supposedly 15-19, but even my g/f rarely managed better than 15 mpg, and never saw over 20 mpg even on the freeway. It only managed to do slightly better than my dad's 5.9 '02 Dakota, even though his was an auto, 4x4, and a quad cab. Power on the other hand was significantly less. On top of that, the 3.9 tossed a main bearing at 25,000 miles, and cracked one of the heads a mere 1,500 miles later. Both were covered by the warranty, but you wouldn't be. My dad's 5.9 has had no real issues in over 81,000 miles now. Now maybe I just had a bad experience, but from what I've see on the web the 3.9's are not highly recommended. As far as I can see, the only real reason to go with the V6 over the V8 is fuel economy, and the 3.9 was never known for it.

Converting your car over to run the 3.9 will be almost exactly the same amount of work as doing a 318 swap, and if you really want to skip rebuilding one of the engines you have you can probably get a 5.2 (318 ) or 5.9 (360) Magnum at the wrecker's for pretty close to what you'd get a 3.9 for. They even made a 4.7 liter V8 for awhile if you're shooting for gas mileage, although I don't really know much about them at all other than the got about the same mpg's as the 3.9 did while making more power. Not sure if they share the same mounts as the 5.2's and 5.9's, although if the 3.9 does I don't see why it wouldn't...

Keep in mind too that aftermarket performance parts are a lot easier to come by for the 5.2 and 5.9's!

Hate to say it but if a slant six don't like you then you have problems,they have not only gone elephant huntin but have certified kills,theres slants runnin in the 9's!!!!as far as the 3.9 v 6 Ol waggin was gonna have one with an overdrive but didn't find a decent deal on the right one so slanty it is,and I got several v 8 choices but the slanty will get you there......forever,how ya think it got to be abraham lincolns favorite engine??????spend 700$ on a cylinder head and add the usual do dads you'd put for a v 8. a 15 second 1/4 mile wont embarass you with a slanty but oh boy pull a 15 with a v 8 and you might as well junk it...the ol slanty will still get good mileage and tow the boat!don't get me wrong though I like my 340's but nice to be able to cruise for 400 or so miles before I have to stop for gas.and yes when the right deal comes along I will give the lil' v 6 a try,I think with the right tuning the mileage and the h p will come up to a useable level.the 225 in waggin has documented over 200 thousand miles when I bought it in my 65 valiant,I drove it for years and just changed the oil and gave it a tune up when I got it,when my buddie got the car from me and said he'd like to put a v 8 I gave him one and took the old slanty for the waggin,new gaskets and timing chain and freeze plugs duals and a 350 hollley 2 pot and away we go lookin for the 300 thousand mile mark!wish I could hook up one of them od's to a slanty that'd be the doo doo deseure!!!!

Well, it's nice to see a /6 flag waver, but, I'm sorry to everyone here, the slant 6 engine bot just plain out sucks, it blows and it's the biggest peice of crap I have ever had the mis-fortune to drive a car with.

Not one of the 6 I have had the displeasure of driving ever came within 50% of the mildest hype I have ever heard or read.

IMO, a modren V-6 gets better mileage, twice the torque and will go reallly far between tune ups. Even if you used an ealry 90's V-6, that is lower on HP and torque than the current replacements being used, your still ahead of the game big time.

I'm sorry, LOL, what nit whit would modify a /6 to hunt a HEMI?
Bwa ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha.
The expens of everything listed to upgrade a /6 is just as expensive or cheap, whatever as vs. a S/B or B/B and will get 4x's the power of that leaning tower of lameness.

A modern 6? Lets see. Mine got 30 mpg's in a 3500 lbs car while mantaining good power at all levels, while traveling with the car full of people going on vaction.

I never looked into such a swap or if a FWD engine would do it easy enuff, but NOW that I see this, I think I'm going to piss off a few purists and flag wavers. Stay tuned. One day this just might show up on ForAbodies only!!!!!!!!!!

Usually you know what you are talking about,but your brain must be on vacation.

What nit wit would modify a slant to go HEMI hunting??? Are you soft? Ever heard of tom drake? Running into the 9's. I would call that hemi hunting,and I would not call the man a nit wit.

Ever seen the You tube vid of Shaker223? Ran a 12.95 @ 104 in a 71 Dart,full street trim,stock engine(only mods are o rings and copper head gasket),2.93 gears WITH 6 INCH WHITE WALL STREET TIRES!!! Oh yea 22 lbs. of boost on stock rods and pistons,he sounds like a real nit wit.

What engines do you have in your Mopars? What kind of 1/4 mile times? Did I mention Shaker223 drove to the track 100 miles,raced,and drove home with an average 19 m.p.g? My bone stock SRT-4 Neon would average about the same on race day,and less once I went with a bigger turbo.

Leaning tower of lameness? Dont be such a Grumblefish

Just curious, does anybody have any dyno pulls on a fuelie slant six? Interested to see how it compares with the 3.9L carb to FI. Ma Mopar jumped from 125 hp to 175 hp and 195 tq to 225 tq. Now admittedly, there were a host of changes other than just the FI.

-
Back