Anybody ever experience cheating gas stations?

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
We had one shut down awhile back and the owner was mysteriously murdered.

Today on base, the gas price at 1.000 gallon was off the advertised price.

image.jpg

What was the advertised price? Just a little difference makes a huge profit for the crooks!

There was a recent local station that had something on the news about a credit card skimmer. It was never really made clear whether it could have been an "inside" job or whether the station was completely cleared.

In Fl. the gas pumps are checked by Dept. of Agriculture. They use a special 5 gal calibrated container. And test pumps regularly. Then place a certification decal on the pumps. It would be hard for the merchant to rig the pump. Though I'm sure it is possible.

My biggest issue is when paying at the counter in CASH, and then when I start the pump, it's charging me the credit card price. The difference is usually between 6-10 cents a gallon between the cash price and credit/debit card price.

Back in the '70's gas crunch, a classmate at my Community College Auto Technology class had two different tricks to steal gasoline. #1 He worked at a Shell station and would put one or two dollars of gas in his car and then keep the pump on, then without clearing the pump, he would put the nozzle in the next customer's car and fill them up, having them pay the one or two dollars extra. I guess he did that until his tank was filled. #2 He installed an electric fuel pump near the gas tank filler pipe of his '71 Dodge Charger. He would park alongside another car, and pump gas from the other car into his car. Probably at night, but I'm not sure when he pulled #2 off. He was a nice guy otherwise, and helped me build my 1965 Valiant bracket racer during our auto class hours together, polishing valves, connecting rods, painting the inside of the cylinder block, etc.

Back in the '70's gas crunch, a classmate at my Community College Auto Technology class had two different tricks to steal gasoline. #1 He worked at a Shell station and would put one or two dollars of gas in his car and then keep the pump on, then without clearing the pump, he would put the nozzle in the next customer's car and fill them up, having them pay the one or two dollars extra. I guess he did that until his tank was filled. #2 He installed an electric fuel pump near the gas tank filler pipe of his '71 Dodge Charger. He would park alongside another car, and pump gas from the other car into his car. Probably at night, but I'm not sure when he pulled #2 off. He was a nice guy otherwise, and helped me build my 1965 Valiant bracket racer during our auto class hours together, polishing valves, connecting rods, painting the inside of the cylinder block, etc.

It was easier being a crook back then LOL! today there would be a camera somewhere getting that guys antics on film.

Did any of your cars get really bad gas mileage ? LOL

If you're in FL, and have seen the news at all in the last year.....

There's a skimmer story every week if not more often.

Remarkably, there's NEVER any security camera footage of them being installed.

I've started paying for gas with cash, inside, exclusively.

PITA, but much safer.

The station nearest my house still let's me fill up first, then pay if I want to.
I just hold my thumb up, and they turn on the pump.

My wife had a job at a gas station years ago. The owner would routinely have the delivery driver drop a bunch of 'regular' into the 'premium' tank. Maybe this is why your guy got wacked.

I have some heavy plastic jugs that ag chem come in, I use them for gas jugs...... they hold 2 1/2 gal. of material... few years back I would fill them with like 2 gal of gas !!! ha.....
I bitched them out and it didn't happen afterwards> for me anyway! ha

You guys down in the states don't use chip and pin for credit cards do you?

I know up here if you have to swipe, they almost always ask for ID. Everyone has the chip and pin, just like debit does.

My uncle was one of a group of Supertest stations busted back in the day for selling US gallons here in Canada . The American parent company supplied and installed the pumps , they were bought out by Texico I think it was shortly after the dust settled

You guys down in the states don't use chip and pin for credit cards do you?

I know up here if you have to swipe, they almost always ask for ID. Everyone has the chip and pin, just like debit does.

they are just installing those darn things here now

they suck...slow everything W A Y down

they are just installing those darn things here now

they suck...slow everything W A Y down

Really? Super quick up here. Depending on the machine of course. And you get better coverage for theft. Here at least. We got that "tap" too. Which is nice. Tap the card and go. Anything they can do to take our money quicker though lol.

we had the tap here a while ago, I'm not sure why they did away with it

I'm sure part of the reason the chip takes forever is because it is new to us, and not all systems are set up for it yet (and no one ever knows if it runs as debit or credit, and NONE of them go about it in the same sequence)

right now, the speed reminds me of this

Oh yeah you guys got those debit/credit cards. There are some up here, but not that common. Up here all credit cards have the chip. Tap is nice cause anything you buy under the amount (usually $50) is automatically covered by fraud insurance if your card gets stolen. They don't even argue it. They just cover it.

-
Back