anybody ever repair pits in pot metal??

-

evil 340

Reaction score
i got a price to repair the pits in my center console and i don t want to spend that much. i would like to try to solder the pits myself and then have it re plated. anybody ever do this ???i ve looked on youtube and haven t found much. any help appreciated

i got a price to repair the pits in my center console and i don t want to spend that much. i would like to try to solder the pits myself and then have it re plated. anybody ever do this ???i ve looked on youtube and haven t found much. any help appreciated

I have on other stuff, not mopar interior parts, but all should be the same. the first thing you wanna do is smooth out the pits to the original surface of the rest of the console. use regular (solid) lead, no rosin core. add a dab to the area and use really fine sand paper to smooth out. once done you can have it replated.

A friend of mine did this from caswell plating worked pretty well and saved him a huge amount of money (went from 2300.00 to 1000.00) since they didn't have to fix anything just sand and plate
he did 2 vent frames, the sargeant chevrons and the rear buckets on his 65 plymouth. of course they came out with the buckets and bezels 2 months after he had his done

Solder-It Aluminum/Pot Metal Repair 0.25oz

solderit.jpg

Aluminum/Pot Metal Repair Paste
Solders ZINC DIECAST - White Metal - POT METAL & ALUMINUM!

Simply bead blast the casting, and/or drill out the pits with a Dremel tool or die grinder. Inject enough SOLDER-IT into the hole to just overfill it. Then, using the tip of a small torch flame, gently heat the area until the paste flows. The special fluxes and cleaning agents incorporated into the paste will fuse the molten solder to the casting to provide the perfect repair. SOLDER-IT is a perfect color match for Pot Metal, and any join lines should readily buff out. Sand flat and, if required plate with copper plate.
The finished repair has a tensile strength of up to 22,000psi, so can be used to join and repair broken sections of the casting. The Zinc Metal Solder Paste. Solders ZINC DIECAST - White Metal - POT METAL & Aluminum ! No Mess, No Waste syringe applicator. Works with the heat of a torch or soldering iron. Low melting point - 400°F. (Melts before the pot metal does!)

i have done it.. hated it.. for plating i use the same guy that Rick Dale uses from American Restoration.. pretty reasonable.. and great quality

Year & model?
There are reproduction consoles available for certain years that have to be less costly than repairing and rechroming an old part. The dilemma is; how many pits does it take to get to that tipping point to spend any dough to replace or repair it? Then once that one item is like new, all the rest of the nearby old chrome begins to hurt one’s eyes causing mission creep and more chrome repair.

All of this makes sense. I know its gonna be a lot of work and suck. But i ll sacrifice my time if its worth the labor and saves me money for other parts. The console is for a 72 demon. They make repops but they're 500. The pits in mine arent everywhere ....just about a 4 inch strip in the one crevice. Very thin line. The cubby hole where the ash tray is is rusty but the rest of the console looks nice other than the small pit strip and light scuffs. I guess i ll see what the platers price for chrome is and decide if it would just be more beneficial to buy the repop. Thank you for everyone's input so far.

good luck would be a good idea to use on mirros and stuff you can just sand down and paint....

-
Back