Anybody running hood pins on their '73-'76?

-

69bronzeT5

My wife's car is faster.
Reaction score
I've been tossing around the idea of putting hood pins on my '73 Duster. Not sure if I'm a big fan of it though. They suit '70-'72s but I'm not too sure about the later years. If you have them on your '73-'76 then please post some pictures!:-D

My '73 duster came to me with after-market hood pins installed. Like most old cars with many owners (I am at least the 5'th owner, who knows how many of us there are though) some of the work done on her is very good, some of it looks like it was done by Bomba the Jungle Boy. Fortunatly the pins were placed fairly well, they are evenly spaced and they did not use a jackhammer to cut the holes they way they did on the replacement 1/4 panels.

I'll grab my cameral and put up some pix when I get home.

Does anyone know if hood pins were ever a factory option?

-LY

Here's the only picture of mine I could find with them in it.
-Jon

DSC00028.JPG

Bumping this.......anyone else have hood pins on their '73-'76 A-body? I bought some for my Duster but I have no idea where to put them.

Well... My "home" computer is down, so I have no pictures. BUT... Here is a video I posted on Youtube. I have a 73 with hood pins.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0G3UJTns5w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0G3UJTns5w[/ame]

These were installed by the prev. owner, he did a pretty nice job & used year one stuff, so it looks sort of correct.

dstr2 005.jpg

Just open the hood, and there should be dimples right where the pins go. Just drill out the dimples. and align the hood to match.

Like I say my home computer isn't up so I cant send pics. Post a picture with the hood open if you like and I can try to show you where the dimples are. They are right where the bumper stops are to the left and right the front of the car.

I gotta see if I have any pics here.......... On my Dart Sport, the pins were mounted really strange...... I don't know if any of you guys would LIKE the idea, but I know what can happen to the looks of the installation when the hood slams up and down into those little 1/2" holes.......

Instead of mounting the actual studs on the CAR as would be normal, I mounted them under the hood.......In other words, the studs were "sticking up" out of the hood as usual, but underneath the hood, I mig welded the stud (after I neatly trimmed it to length so it would not be noticeable) UNDER the hood itself.....never had to heat up the top hood skin....only a bit of the framing. You savvy?

Now some guys might cry "FOUL" at this procedure, but it basically works just as well as having the studs mounted in the bumper holes or another place on the front crossmember.......The cables themselves are the safeguard in case the hood latch doesn't work properly......This worked the same way, and the studs will NEVER come into contact with the chrome surrounds on top of the hood.....they ALWAYS look clean and perfect.

112_1204.jpg

-
Back