Anybody running non-stock mirrors?

-
I shaved my factory mirrors and will be putting some 4" peep mirrors on instead. They clamp to the door or window frame which should make for a reversible install. I'll post some pics later.

Dad is thinking of swapping his door mirrors out as well on his 67 cuda, he cant see squat outta them, but want them to look nice and fit the original holes.

I've owned alot of A bodies over the years. None of them had any good outside mirrors. I have the stock round ones on this Duster. They are about
the best to see. I would like to see better, but I can't bear to got with aftermarket mirrors. If anyone knows of a better factory mirror Let me know.
I would love to see more of where I've been also.

Dad is thinking of swapping his door mirrors out as well on his 67 cuda, he cant see squat outta them, but want them to look nice and fit the original holes.

4spdragtop or if I'm not mistaken Steve, tell your dad to try convex mirrors, you can buy the small diameter stick on ones from Canadian Tire, I have them on outter lower area of my 68 cuda mirrors and it allows me to see 100% of the blind spot on both sides of the car without having to put my head over my shoulder. Honestly once you train your eyes balls to work inconjuction with the convex mirrors and the original mirrors, there great.

4spdragtop or if I'm not mistaken Steve, tell your dad to try convex mirrors, you can buy the small diameter stick on ones from Canadian Tire, I have them on outter lower area of my 68 cuda mirrors and it allows me to see 100% of the blind spot on both sides of the car without having to put my head over my shoulder. Honestly once you train your eyes balls to work inconjuction with the convex mirrors and the original mirrors, there great.

Thanks JTG, I will let him know!

I've owned alot of A bodies over the years. None of them had any good outside mirrors. I have the stock round ones on this Duster. They are about
the best to see. I would like to see better, but I can't bear to got with aftermarket mirrors. If anyone knows of a better factory mirror Let me know.
I would love to see more of where I've been also.

Have you tried the sport mirors?

Most of the factory mirrors are useless when the rear is raised up.
On my dads Charger the rear end is so high you can only use the top 1/2 inch of the mirror.

these are off of a mid 80's Monte Carlo or Cutlass I believe.

Attachments

• DSC02830 (Copy).JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC02831 (Copy).JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC02947 (Copy).JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC02950 (Copy).JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 276
just about all sport mirrors from the 70's-80s look the same so hard to find a real set of mirrors at swap meets

Tex stainless mirror, if I did it again I'd get it with the taller pedastal.

Attachments

• march 25, 2012 027_1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 7-22-12 007_1_2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 267
The sport mirrors have a smaller area of glass than the round mirrors. I've
had them both. They are just useless. I'm going to look for a set of those GM
mirrors for mine. They look the same. But might get them out further then
the orignals.
Hell, I got a Firebird rear spoiler on our Dakota. Nobody can tell.

just took a look at trudysduster. I guess I wont be using the GM mirrors.
I see that they mount to the outside of the door. Not the top. Don't want
to redo all the body work of that. I'd like those because the mirror is larger
than the Mopar ones. I'm going to keep looking.

Here are the 4" peep mirrors that I just installed on my Dart. Makes for a clean install with nothing on the body.

20120912_172455.jpg

20120912_172504.jpg

Ebay, there are plenty available. Just search for peep mirrors. I had to paint them black cause all that the sellers had was chrome. I bought 2 of them for $30 shipped.

I'd like to find a set of power mirrors to retrofit. Really need that right side mirror and its a pain to get it adjusted right.

these are off of a mid 80's Monte Carlo or Cutlass I believe.

Those are standard GM G-Body mirrors found on Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Cutlass, Regal. However, in 86(? I believe it was) the Monte Carlo SS got a different more angular mirror.

thinking about the peep mirrors, though I bought a gm 70's rallye to try out..cost me $10

-
Back