Anybody useing MSD 7AL-2 Plus?Thoughts?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m thinking about upgrading to the MSD 7AL-2 Plus box for the 2 step option.I want to have better reaction times seeing I have my 60fts down now.I like the idea of setting launch RPM,so I can concentrate more on the tree and not worrying about my tach RPM.Call me lazy,but have lost too many races due to bad RT.Whats your thoughts on the 7AL-2 Plus?Thanks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7222/?rtype=10

7AL2 with a 2 step is definitely the way to go. We have never run without them on either car so I can't tell you what the R/T was prior. Bob's R/T varies between -.002 red, to somewhere around .010 green. My R/T is around -.001 red to around .012.

What do you guys have your launch RPM set at? I too would like to get a 7AL-2. Thanks in advance.

I,m thinking about upgrading to the MSD 7AL-2 Plus box for the 2 step option.I want to have better reaction times seeing I have my 60fts down now.I like the idea of setting launch RPM,so I can concentrate more on the tree and not worrying about my tach RPM.Call me lazy,but have lost too many races due to bad RT.Whats your thoughts on the 7AL-2 Plus?Thanks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7222/?rtype=10

I could be wrong but I think the digital 6 plus comes with a 2-step and is a whole lot cheaper. Not saying its as good a box as the 7AL-2 but...

hi, msd 7al -2 is the best . mine has been in my car since 1990, still works great. very tough unit. just food forthought

MSd quality has slipped a LOT in the past couple of years. Not saying you'll have trouble but...

I jumped off the MSD bandwagon long ago and couldn't be happier. This is the box I choose for my projects these days.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/685/10002/-1

650-685_1.jpg

Its a vastly superior box for same/less money as a MSD Digital 6. It has a digital readout (that's LIT so you can see it at night (as opposed to teeny tiny numbers printed on the case)

You select everything with an up/down button instead of hunting for a little screwdriver.

It has every feauture of the Digital 6 plus MAP sensor control (not that you'll probably want to run boost, but whatever).

With the exception of the heavy power leads, its all weatherpack connectors, so if you ever do have to pull it you don't have to rewire the whole thing from scratch..

I've recommended these to a lot of people and have as yet to hear one complaint.

Oh and you don't need to buy some ridiculous coil like you do with that 7AL.

My opinion, but I'd never choose an MSD 6 or 7 over this box.

EDIT: I set my launch at 3400, but that's converter mainly.

Another advantage of the two step is that you can leave with the throttle wide open. Also, you aren't muddying your 60' with random pump shot from being in and out of the gas.

MSd quality has slipped a LOT in the past couple of years. Not saying you'll have trouble but...

I jumped off the MSD bandwagon long ago and couldn't be happier. This is the box I choose for my projects these days.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/685/10002/-1

650-685_1.jpg

Its a vastly superior box for same/less money as a MSD Digital 6. It has a digital readout (that's LIT so you can see it at night (as opposed to teeny tiny numbers printed on the case)

You select everything with an up/down button instead of hunting for a little screwdriver.

It has every feauture of the Digital 6 plus MAP sensor control (not that you'll probably want to run boost, but whatever).

With the exception of the heavy power leads, its all weatherpack connectors, so if you ever do have to pull it you don't have to rewire the whole thing from scratch..

I've recommended these to a lot of people and have as yet to hear one complaint.

Oh and you don't need to buy some ridiculous coil like you do with that 7AL.

My opinion, but I'd never choose an MSD 6 or 7 over this box.

EDIT: I set my launch at 3400, but that's converter mainly.

Another advantage of the two step is that you can leave with the throttle wide open. Also, you aren't muddying your 60' with random pump shot from being in and out of the gas.

Good to hear as this is what I went with, though I haven't finished the car to put it on yet! Picked it up on Amazon for way less than retail too :D

the two step is the way to go...you dont have to worry about starting line rpm...we use the rotary module that allows the rpm to change at the turn of the dial .....

actually using 3 step...the extra step limits rpm in burnout....kid that don't have to work on car....tend to over rev them....

Thanks for all everyone,s opinions,still undecided with which box to use.I,ve had no problems with the MSD 6AL boxes,have 1 in my D.Sport for the last 5 yrs.Also 1 in the 66 Dart for 3 yrs.Time for upgrades.

-
Back