Anyone else keep an eye open for old tools? I picked up an OLD circular saw for $20

-
I think those plugs are for the motor brushes. one on each side?

I think those plugs are for the motor brushes. one on each side?

Yes, There are brushes in the black plugs on the far left side of the case. The plug that I am curious about is in the bottom right.

Attachments

• IMG_20151112_130436563.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20151112_130441279.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 216
Much better pic. Maybe it has a roller bearing in an oil bath. They built stuff to last back then.

I inherited a bunch of old tools from my dad when we had older family cars .Sears Craftsman Engine Analyzer for setting the dwell,tach,bad points,amps.A couple of old analog multimeters ,a timing light from Montgomery Wards (I remember him buying it in the late 70's)All still work to this day Wrenches and other tools from older USA tool makers like Plomb,Fleet,Proto ,Utica.I remember him using the Sears Engine Analyzer to tune our family car which was a 71 Duster with a slant 6.Shoot,I was brought home from the hospital in that Duster.I was born Mopar :D
I use that engine analyzer to this day on my Duster.

Well take the flippin plug out and see what it is. You got the thing right there in front of you.

As for the actual thread: In the morning, a bunch of machinist toolbox goodies, era 40's- 50's.. I got lots of weird stuff..

Much better pic. Maybe it has a roller bearing in an oil bath. They built stuff to last back then.

I'm sure gear oil "is what it is." The question is, "what kind?" Probably "something" is better than nothing LOL

I pulled that plug out last night after I cleaned it up. It turns out the darn thing is full of grease!?!?! I may try to clean that out and put something like your lube in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20151112_205937705.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_20151112_210200313.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 174
Might be best to leave it in there. Still looks like it has good consistency. Probably not much chance dirt can get in there.

my grandfather has this very saw, that grease needs to stay there. It's a dio electrode grease for the brushes.

Anyone familiar with this Craftsman hot wrench?

I'm guessing it's late '60s or early '70s.

Appears to have a phenolic handle and trigger. Yes, it does work.

Attachments

• CraftsTorch1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 171
  • CraftsTorch2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 185
Does this count? Noticed it sitting out in the weather a few months ago asked about it. Got it free. Just needed some cleanup.

Attachments

• Pexto Shear.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 153
This area seems to be "blessed" with a bunch of thrift stores. However, after "the big crash" there is nowhere near the kinds of things that are being donated, anymore. Never a computer, or hardly ever, and of course no hard drive.

I haven't bought anything in the way of new clothes for years.

Ever try the DI (Deseret Industries)? Being in Idaho you are probably already aware of them. If not they are thrift stores operated by the Mormon Church. I hit them frequently and often see hard drives there. What you find there just depends on what people are dropping off right then. Every day is different. You can probably even call and get a manager to check stock for you to save a trip.

Good Luck.

I have an old Mall saw ( my grandfathers, he was a construction company), and I also have a 194? Tecumseh Power Products chain saw i found at a garage sale.

the No.! "rural" entertainment here is farm auctions. lots of elderly frmers retiring, esate auctions, the local weekly trader/shoper paper will have maybe 30 everyweekend for like 10 co area.

ya never know what you will find. many bargains, some not!! ha

some of these sales are where the owner had also gone to these auctions for d ecades collecting "stuff" ! ha

a great place for the "young gun" filling his tool box, buy a big box of assorted sockets for $5.

-
Back