Anyone have a axle narrowing Jig?

-

johnparts

Slammed 1
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has a Jig to rent or borrow? maybe we can buy one as a community and share it?

Why do you believe you need it? Just wrap a piece of masking tape around your tube before you cut it. Works every time.

Holy crap.

(Note to self. Don't let this guy narrow any housings for me)

Yea poison dart I said the same thing a while back and got a bunch of jackass remarks from people also. I'm sure it could be done just fine that way if you were really careful but a jig is of corse the way to go without saying. I wouldn't be opposed in keeping one in the forum as long as people with the big mouths wouldn't be able to use it.

Don't mean to flame, and I hope the OP has found what he's looking for. Sure a Jig is the way to go, no argument there, there are alternatives if you can't get one. It's not the first crass comment I've got from this guy, there is more than one way to do things, and just because it isn't his way, doesn't make it the wrong way.

I've seen it work without a jig, but, I'll be running 750+ hp to the tires I prefer to use a jig just can't justify buying one for a single axle job.

I narrow axle housings. the only way to do it correctly is with a jig. 95% of all the rears i have done are not straight to start with. The jig holds the housing end in the correct position in relation to the side gear centerline. Now with that said I recommend you box it up and UPS it to Moser engineering. You will have it back in a week and with perfect workmanship.

I narrow axle housings. the only way to do it correctly is with a jig. 95% of all the rears i have done are not straight to start with. The jig holds the housing end in the correct position in relation to the side gear centerline. Now with that said I recommend you box it up and UPS it to Moser engineering. You will have it back in a week and with perfect workmanship.
It's a dana 60 so the shipping charges would kill me. I'm half tempted to throw it in the truck and bring it to Strange since they are close to me.

It's a dana 60 so the shipping charges would kill me. I'm half tempted to throw it in the truck and bring it to Strange since they are close to me.

Now you're thinking.

I have fixed so many diffs from someone doing it and has no clue and got the idea they could do it ANOTHER way without a jig and thought they could weld and made things worse....

I charge extra for those people so they learn to NEVER do something you think can be done a different way.

Soooo, either see a local reputable professional shop or drive it right over to strange

Or have a car with issues you may not notice till someone else does.

not to bud in--but how do they actually shorten it--From the axle flange end or the carrier end--No being a smart-*** just interested how they do it--Steve

i will agree that moser does exellent work but....... i just spent $1400 on a fabricated sheet metal housing from them with the back brace installed. when i got it i threw my buddies jig in it just for ***** and giggles. my brand new housing was out of true by 1/8" on the driver side. i didnt even bat an eye at it. the housing that it is replacing is a factory 8 3/4 a-body housing that was 3/8"out on one side and over a 1/4" on the other. never had a single problem with it. my buddy has narrow dozens of housings and they are almost always off a bit from the factory.

Yep i know a guy that said he could do me one for a $100.00 buck so i said ok . NOT i got it back it was off on one side . so i bought a new D60 made a trip up to Moser engineering got it right this time. . Now i am going to take a D 60 back up to Moser spend the 150.00 bucks and 95.00 for the ends an 45.00 bucks for new bearing. an have it done right. Just my 2 cent here. they do have a very nice axle end for 95.00 buck.

Where are you in Ridley Park.I have a B body rear I can't sell.I may have it narrowed. Mark

not to bud in--but how do they actually shorten it--From the axle flange end or the carrier end--No being a smart-*** just interested how they do it--Steve

You remove the ends, which are cut off square, then disassemble the entire rear and then instal a true steel bar that is centered in the housing thru the bearing mains for that make, it then holds the set up pieces that fit the ends like the bearing, you then make 4 tacks, check and see the truing bar still slides easily and then make the finish weld on the ends after all other brackets and perchs have been welded on.

Make one continuous weld around the entire bearing end to have as little walking as possible, let it cool and the truing bar and set ups should slide right out, if not it's off to the press and straighten the housing as needed in the affected area which is why i say let the experts do this and not just anyone.

Otherwise you will have a car that is losing performance thru a rear that isn't square and causing bind.
I have fixed many of these done by people with the wrong tools and or just welding away brackets and have no clue what happens

if not it's off to the press and straighten the housing as needed in the affected area which is why i say let the experts do this and not just anyone.

Hey, not to reign on your parade, this is all well and good, for a fact, there are a lot of folks that cowboy it and they come out great using the axle shaft as a "true steel bar". I'm still a firm believer that axles aren't rocket ships.

use a piece of angle iron as a guide to get it welded back together straight

Exactly what i was going to say lol
Put a big hose clamp and a big peice of angle iron on it to hold it then slide an axle shaft in make sure it spins and weld it up after a few tacks of course

We use a jig and do them all the time. We are in Indy. We have a Dana at our hop right now the another shop brought to us to do. We are also a Moser dealer. Just shoot me a PM if we can help
Take a look at our facebook page to find some more info on us. A link is in my signiture.
Tim

Hey, not to reign on your parade, this is all well and good, for a fact, there are a lot of folks that cowboy it and they come out great using the axle shaft as a "true steel bar". I'm still a firm believer that axles aren't rocket ships.

use a piece of angle iron as a guide to get it welded back together straight

Not raining on my parade, but if you want to build drag into your car, knock yourselves out, again i have fixed plenty of these procedures.

The sliding the axle in and using a piece of angle iron is another method of making your car drag.

Great is not how they come out, working at holding the wheel under the car so it can suspend it's weight is what they are doing at the point of doing it any other way.

dana 60 are a lot easier to narrow than an 8 3/4 heres a few pics of a really narrow dana60 lol

Attachments

• scallop4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 383
  • scallop5.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 359
  • scallop1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 417
Hey Supershafts whats the price for narrowing a 8 3/4 rear?

-
Back