Anyone on fabo know a lot about F body cars?

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have what I thought is a 78 volare wagon but apparently the vin says it's an aspen. (I do not know the vin codes for F bodies) (NL45D8)

The car was missing the hood and grille when I bought it.

So a friend knew I am looking for F body parts and he texted me a pic of a complete 4 door donor car...... but it's a 1980 dodge aspen. It's reasonably priced and available.

My question(s) are will the grille and hood fit a 78?
I know by visual appearance the 80 grille looks a lot more square and different than the 78 stuff.

Would the 80 be a useful parts car for the 78?

Last edited:
You have to change the entire front clip fenders,hood,grille and bumper. The Volare has a finished fender, the Aspen has an end cap to finish the end of the fender at the front edge.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Aspen/Volare hoods interchange. Go over to FBand several F body sites. They an tell you quick about all you need to know! FMR*** etc etc

thats like saying a b c and listing them...the f body sheet metal will be the same as other f bodies etc
No I stated at the bottom that they were the same general platform

I know a Mirada fender doesn’t fit a Volare.
Re read post #2 I think you can swap full front sheet metal between the 2 cars.

So I have what I thought is a 78 volare wagon but apparently the vin says it's an aspen. (I do not know the vin codes for F bodies) (NL45D8)

So a friend knew I am looking for F body parts and he texted me a pic of a complete 4 door donor car...... but it's a 1980 dodge aspen. It's reasonably priced and available.

I know by visual appearance the 80 grille looks a lot more square and different than the 78 stuff.

You would probably have to use the square headlights but yes it will work

I was told the spindles, out can be used for A body front disk brakes on these

The fact that you insist on installing a hood and fenders at all disappoints me.

I was told the spindles, out can be used for A body front disk brakes on these
The spindles are about 1/2” taller than the A body spindles and I heard that they work better but I prefer the A body spindles in an A body. JMO.

You have to change the entire front clip fenders,hood,grille and bumper. The Volare has a finished fender, the Diplomat has an end cap to finish the end of the fender at the front edge.
So as long as I use the entire 80 front end, it will bolt on and work?

No I stated at the bottom that they were the same general platform

I know a Mirada fender doesn’t fit a Volare.
Re read post #2 I think you can swap full front sheet metal between the 2 cars.
i don't see her asking about any diplomats or mirada's...just volare aspen

Nice that you noticed.
I just realized that I put Diplomat where I meant to put Aspen.

Last edited:

I see now the fenders are different 78 to 80 so you probably will need the whole front clip

FMJ bodies
Volare
Aspen
Diplomat
LeBaron
Gran Fury
Mirada
Cordoba
All different body styles but same general platform.
isnt F a platform?
isnt M a platform?
isnt J a platform?

giphy.gif

isnt F a platform?
isnt M a platform?
isnt J a platform?
All of the underpinnings will interchange as a bolt in with no modifications is my point.
Can you bolt an A body k member and suspension into an E body as a bolt in with no modifications?

Princess,
My original answer was incorrect as I answered with Diplomat where I meant to write Aspen.
My apologies it contributed to a long drawn out post.
It is bolt on but like my original answer stated you will need the entire front sheet metal.

All of the underpinnings will interchange as a bolt in with no modifications is my point.
Can you bolt an A body k member and suspension into an E body as a bolt in with no modifications?
K member? no

but how many of us run C body brakes on our A bodies?
how many of us run a B body rear end ?

sure, some things interchange, some dont and some kinda sorta

the point is, who decided that a 81 cordoba is a J platform and 81 diplomat is an M ?

Ma Mopar did, so there must be enough of a difference there for them to go through the trouble of not making them the same
and to make clear what was "the same" and what wasnt, they put a code on em

now, it makes sense to make as much transferable between all the platforms to keep cost down

-
Back