Anyone recommend a good mechanic in Sacramento

-

AValiant69

Reaction score
I just got done putting a super six setup on my 69 Valiant and would like a professional to look over my work. It starts and runs fine but stumbles when in gear; I think the timing and air fuel ratio need to be tuned. I haven't had many good experiences with modern mechanics; I was hoping to find someone who has some experience working on older cars. I live in Citrus Heights, if anyone could recommend someone in the area I would appreciate it.

Timing and Carb adjustment will fix that. Buy a timing light and use the service book for the proper settings. It may take you a couple of times but its easy and will save you money. Shops can charge $100 just to do it for you. Do it once and it pays for itself. If you need guidance the forum is here to help you. The service books can be found here as well. There are links to them to read online. If you were in socal I could show you how. I collect the large Shop manuals that cover most American and some foreign such as VW. From 1954 thru 1982. All the tune up specs are there. Pm me if you need the tune up settings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 116
Unfortunately I recently installed a GM HEI module when I switched from points and I havent had any luck finding timing information. With the old points system I would set it 5 BTDC and it would run fine. With the HEI it sounds best around 20-30 BTDC (not really sure cause the marking plate only goes to 10). I was hoping to find a good mechanic or anyone who is familiar with older vehicles more so they could point me in the right direction. Also I wanted someone with an exhaust gas analyzer to help dial it in.

Timing should not change (much) just because you changed modules. You may have the pickup wires reversed (polarity) which will offset the timing and the rotor will not be "phased."

Always get timing FIRST.

With engine warm, set mixture with a tach or vacuum guage for maximum vacuum, and then "touch" the screw towards lean "last." Keep the idle speed where you want as you set mixture, as if mixture is far off, it will also change idle speed.

-
Back