Anyone replace thier Windshields?

-

Russ H

Reaction score
If so, who supplied the glass (brand name). Any comments on the fit, installation problems, leaks etc. would be much appreciated. I want to replace the windshield in my 68 Barracuda and am trying to buy glass that is as close to OEM as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Russ

I need glass too. I doubt there will be much choice. As far as leaks, that is totally dependent on the quality of the installation.

Take it to a glass shop. I have only done one windshield myself (47 Chevy truck) and will never try it again! You may have to call around as most new cars have glue-in windshields instead of rubber gaskets, some shops won't touch gaskets because they are more work. Most decent size cities have restoration or hot rod shops, ask them who they use.

As for the glass itself, LOF or PPG have fit better for me. The last time I did an old car windshield the glass shop said I had 2 options "decent" or "cheap" and they wouldn't guarantee "cheap" not to leak or whistle. The shop will probably have to special order the glass. Call around.

I had a reputable shop take care of mine last summer after a run in with a stone off of a dump truck (grrr)...The shop did a great job and it only took a few hours. PPG was used. The only type of windshield available was one with the darkened sun visor strip at the top (compared to the old windshield, which didn't have that). Overall I'm really happy with the job they did. Not sure I would attempt it on my own, however. Hope this helps!

-
Back