Anyone running a th400 in their a body?

-
Happy this post came back alive as I wasn't a FABO member when it originated. I know there are so many posts on different forums always over 727 vs glide or 727 vs th400. Always interesting to see what people say and their experiences. I would have to agree with the fact that the SFI case and bell makes them much more desirable for people making higher HP. However, to say that a 727 cannot handle 1000hp is just simply not true. I fault no one for going with a glide or th400 because ultimately, more available parts, many different manufacturers, etc. But I can assure with the right parts inside a 727, it will handle well over 1000hp. I will see Rick Allison this weekend at carlisle and I will ask him what the status is on the SFI case, if its in the works, etc. I know they have been slammed and lost one of their long term employees to retirement so things they want to develop, are taking longer than expected, just because they are trying to keep up with orders and builds. Either way, I will update what Rick says about the SFI case for those who are staying 727. I will likely start a new post though so this one isn't hijacked. I am sure the originator of this post is sure happy with his th400 though. Would like to hear about his experiences since he put it in the car many years ago.
Even better how about an SFI case for a 904 !!! I hope A&A is at Carlisle ( I didn't see them on the vendor list ) I need a few things !

Even better how about an SFI case for a 904 !!! I hope A&A is at Carlisle ( I didn't see them on the vendor list ) I need a few things !
They are there. I talk to Nick Allison pretty regularly. They don’t have as many parts as they bring to the mopar nationals at Columbus, but they do have a stock of parts with them

Happy this post came back alive as I wasn't a FABO member when it originated. I know there are so many posts on different forums always over 727 vs glide or 727 vs th400. Always interesting to see what people say and their experiences. I would have to agree with the fact that the SFI case and bell makes them much more desirable for people making higher HP. However, to say that a 727 cannot handle 1000hp is just simply not true. I fault no one for going with a glide or th400 because ultimately, more available parts, many different manufacturers, etc. But I can assure with the right parts inside a 727, it will handle well over 1000hp. I will see Rick Allison this weekend at carlisle and I will ask him what the status is on the SFI case, if its in the works, etc. I know they have been slammed and lost one of their long term employees to retirement so things they want to develop, are taking longer than expected, just because they are trying to keep up with orders and builds. Either way, I will update what Rick says about the SFI case for those who are staying 727. I will likely start a new post though so this one isn't hijacked. I am sure the originator of this post is sure happy with his th400 though. Would like to hear about his experiences since he put it in the car many years ago.
I agree 100%. Converter selection is another issue. Protrans can change the input shaft and front pump assembly to accept a TH400 converter but no one has tried it on a high hp car. I may be the first. The conversation always goes to the 727 not being able to handle the torque, but the diesel guys use em on way more torque than I will ever have. It also goes to the exploding torqueflite issue but thats operator error mixed with a weak spot in the 727. If you look at the TH400 vs 727 you will notice that the 727 has more clutch area and larger planetary gears.

I agree 100%. Converter selection is another issue. Protrans can change the input shaft and front pump assembly to accept a TH400 converter but no one has tried it on a high hp car. I may be the first. The conversation always goes to the 727 not being able to handle the torque, but the diesel guys use em on way more torque than I will ever have. It also goes to the exploding torqueflite issue but thats operator error mixed with a weak spot in the 727. If you look at the TH400 vs 727 you will notice that the 727 has more clutch area and larger planetary gears.
I have not expanded enough yet to get into a TH400. But I plan to in the future. I’m happy to hear you are gonna try pro trans TH400 input shaft conversion. Will be interesting to hear your outcome on that.

-
Back