Anyone tried one of these HEI Distributors?

-
tight fit with the big hei cap...but i had one in a 73 duster...

is that a "single wire"? i bought one from a guy that used it in a 78 pickup. was thinking of puttin it in my dart. he said i just hook one wire from the igntion power supply to the terminal on the distributor with no external coil or other requirements...haven't been brave enough to try it yet though....

is that a "single wire"? i bought one from a guy that used it in a 78 pickup. was thinking of puttin it in my dart. he said i just hook one wire from the igntion power supply to the terminal on the distributor with no external coil or other requirements...haven't been brave enough to try it yet though....

Yes, that's right.
Single power wire setup. should be a lot cleaner in the engine bay, if it fits.

Looks like it has the GM HEI 4 pin module in it.
I'll check how much advance is in it as well and let you all know.

Oh okay but if anyone else wants to know all i did was find a factory non leanburn distributor and went to junk yard cut wiring from a chebby for the connector ends and spliced it in and ran a cooling fan from a computer about 2 inch in diameter and never had a prob.

Mine is the std type cap and running a external coil (bosh) with getting 12v all i did was join the 4 wires from the Ballest resister.Soldered the 2 wires on the right together and 2 left together than purchased a small joiner with locking screws from jaycar and thats it.Nice and neat as you dont even notice the join as the wires are tucked away.Removed the Ballest resister and refitted self tapper screw back into the fire wall.With the Bosh coil its mounted to the heater motor studs which protrude through the fire wall and it sits nicely tucked behind the rocker cover and its still assessable to mount all the wires to it as the LD4B didnt have any where to mount it and i refused to drill more holes onto the inner guard or fire wall so i used what was available.

Ran the first tank of gas through the Dart after the distributor/coil upgrade.

My 4 tank average before the upgrade was 11.4.

My first tank after the upgrades was 13.3.

Besides the new distributor and coil, I also increased the base timing from 10 degrees to 15 degrees advance. Not sure if timing alone could account for 2 mpg. Spark plug gap remained at .035 for most of this tank.

Just before filling up, I regapped the plugs from .035" to .050". I will post again on the next fillup.

I just finished my second tank of gas with the new distributor, this time with the plugs gapped at .050". The gas mileage worked out to 12.9 mpg. I doubt the bigger gap hurt the mileage so I'm guessing it's just margin of error. The two tanks average together at 13.2 which is a 1.8 mpg improvement with the new distributor.

The two tanks average together at 13.2 which is a 1.8 mpg improvement with the new distributor.

I haven't been driving my 65 Dart 273 regularly yet, but hope to do better. Is that mixed city/hwy miles? If so, not terrible, especially if short trips with a cold engine. You might try running leaner. The big spark may make that possible. Not real easy with a carb, unless yours has metering rods (Carter or Edelbrock I think). I have Holley TBI in my BB, so as easy as turning a knob, though I have O2 feedback anyway.

I got one a couple months ago and just now decided to put it in. No luck. I read that it sometimes omes with a bad module so I put a new one in. Still no luck. Still wondering if I have the wiring right. The dizzy wires go straight to the coil and then the coil is grounded and I have it hot wired to the batt just till I make sure everything works. (I have a batt cut off so don't yall think it hot all the time) 12.8 volts at coil and the same at the lack and red on module. So any thoughts? Oh and i have the blaster 2 coil. Btw. This is the first time I really asked anything on here. I've reading for years and have built my duster all alone(except for everyone's help here) and I thank this site and the people here.

I haven't been driving my 65 Dart 273 regularly yet, but hope to do better. Is that mixed city/hwy miles? If so, not terrible, especially if short trips with a cold engine. You might try running leaner. The big spark may make that possible. Not real easy with a carb, unless yours has metering rods (Carter or Edelbrock I think). I have Holley TBI in my BB, so as easy as turning a knob, though I have O2 feedback anyway.

It's all city but on a main road that flows pretty good. 10 miles each way to work and a short trip at lunch time. There's also a pretty big hill in there, about 1000 feet elevation change. I have a carter 2 bbl. It doesn't smell rich and the plugs looked OK. Back in the 70's my dad used to tin the jets in all his carbs with solder. Cheaper than buying different jets. LOL.

I got one a couple months ago and just now decided to put it in. No luck. I read that it sometimes omes with a bad module so I put a new one in. Still no luck. Still wondering if I have the wiring right. The dizzy wires go straight to the coil and then the coil is grounded and I have it hot wired to the batt just till I make sure everything works. (I have a batt cut off so don't yall think it hot all the time) 12.8 volts at coil and the same at the lack and red on module. So any thoughts? Oh and i have the blaster 2 coil. Btw. This is the first time I really asked anything on here. I've reading for years and have built my duster all alone(except for everyone's help here) and I thank this site and the people here.
You should start a new thread for this question. I don't quite follow your wiring description. If you can draw a schematic and scan it, that would help. I haven't installed mine yet, but I think there should be only 1 wire going from the HEI module to coil-. coil+ should be wired to IGN (12 V w/ key on). The HEI module also needs IGN (red wire?). I forgot if it has a ground wire or relies on the mounting to get its ground.

jmfasc,
Red wire to coil +, 12V ignition to coil +. Black to coil -. Distributor gets ground via bolt clamp. Do not ground coil, the module does that! If you want to ground something, add a ground wire to distributor body to engine. It prevents loss of ground when clamp is loose to adjust timing.

you said "dizzy wires to coil" there should be only one wire from the distributor right? Are you still trying to use the factory wires? just do it how KitCarlson said above.

oh wait you are talking about the original distributor on this thread. in that case wire as above but also remember you need the right kind of coil.

i got it! thanks! yeah i had the coil grounded too:( good thing i was testing it on the original coil! but yeah i took all the original ignition wires out and tapped into the main harness under the dash and put a kill switch with it. runs great though. very impressed. i was scared about trying it at first. thanks for the help guys

I haven't tried in the car yet.
Might get time over the weekend to try it out.

Just a follow up on this dizzy, it fits, clearance is fine just gets close to the kickdown bracket.
Only thing is you have to dremel the locating lug on the cap and clock the cap 180 deg. I'll post some pics if you want.

Ok, I just checked the advance mech is about 18deg all in by 2100rpm, vac adds about another 25deg
some pics ignore the leads lol, waiting on some more, and pics are from phone. sorry about quality.
IMG_20120616_151232.jpg

IMG_20120616_151248.jpg

i got a 6al box & msd dist. an a accel super coil which was on the car when i got it. the manager at the parts house told me to go with a colder plug & gap at 30. along with a mini starter it's been 2&1/2 yrs starts almost instantly. other than the price almost 700 $ for the dist & box i love it. oh he also said to use a champion plug. i tried e-3 which r praised on horsepower tv but didn't want to idle at all. another expensive mistake,almost 50 & for a set of plugs i used 2 0r 3 days. as far as mileage, with 2x4's on a 440-60 10.5 to 1 compression, about 6 or 7 mph . so i've decided to go to a 360 stroker to 408 i figured alittle more hp & less weight

Just installed a new HEI procomp distributor on my 1969 318. Also installed new engine wiring harness, removed ballast resisitor (jumpered connections together) and replaced voltage regulator with new electronic regulator, that looks stock. Started right up on first try and everything looked good, but it's not charging the system. Hooked HEI (2 wires red to + black to - on coil) and used connections per the 1969 wiring diagram (except for jumpered out ballast resistor) there's also a blue wire from wiring harness to the + side of the coil as well. I checked the wiring from the FLD on the regulator to the FLD wire on the alternator and it's good, what am I missing as it seems easy enough.............

I just finished my second tank of gas with the new distributor, this time with the plugs gapped at .050". The gas mileage worked out to 12.9 mpg. I doubt the bigger gap hurt the mileage so I'm guessing it's just margin of error. The two tanks average together at 13.2 which is a 1.8 mpg improvement with the new distributor.

Finally finished my third tank of gas. This time only 12.5 mpg which brings my 3 tank average with the new distributor to 12.9. Still better than the old distributor, but not as much as I thought.

The best tank was the first tank before I increased the spark plug gap. Is it possible the bigger gap hurt the mileage?

EDIT: I remember now that the first tank had some freeway miles.

Finally finished my third tank of gas. This time only 12.5 mpg which brings my 3 tank average with the new distributor to 12.9. Still better than the old distributor, but not as much as I thought.

The best tank was the first tank before I increased the spark plug gap. Is it possible the bigger gap hurt the mileage?

I'm quite the neophyte here , esp when electronics are involved ; however , please permit me to offer the following :

- Have you been affording the gas pedal a bit more largesse because of a power increase (real or perceived) ?

- Torrance is in L.A.'s "South Bay" (e.g. , beach city for our brothers from out of the area ; it's near L.A.X.) . Lots of temperature and humidity changes as of late ; perhaps these factors are contributing to the marginal mileage loss ?

My theory is that , like any increase in performance (better cam , 4 bbl swap , dual exhaust , gear swaps) , there's a natural desire to tap-into these improvements . Could it be that you've been "on-it" more with the upgraded ignition (thusly compromising fuel economy) ?

Best of luck , my So Cal bradah ! :glasses7:

I swear buy them used 1 in 70 dodge Charger DUI dizzy & 66 Barracuda F/S better performance & starting get 1.

-
Back