Anyone use these axle repair bearings?

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was looking for axle seals on rock auto and came across these. Never seen them before and im curious how they work. Looks like there is a seal on either side of the bearing.
More Information for WJB WBRP6408
My dart has a leaking axle seal and the seals were replaced around 4k miles ago. So its getting new seals again and I figured I would do bearings too. I ordered a pair of these bearings to check them out. If I dont use them I have some NOS mopar axle bearings on hand.

The whole premise for the repair bearing is due to the rollers riding directly on the axle shaft. If the axle is worn in the normal area where the original bearings ride, the repair bearing moves the rollers inboard to an undamaged area of the axle, provided that’s good. It’s possible your axle is worn enough to allow the seal to lose contact with it.

Your Dart has a leaking outer seal? How long ago was 4k miles? Two years? If the new bearings get over-packed with grease, the grease can push past the outer seal. I've only had an inner seal leak when the bearings go bad, which makes a distinctive sound.

That looks like a wheel bearing for a Chevy. Similar on Astro Van. Uses the axle for the bearing race. Not for Mopar.

It looks like a 9 1/4 repair axle bearing.
Doesn't an 8 1/4 also have the bearing ride on the axle?
Correct. Here are the 8.25 axle bearings and seals from Dr Diff. They are similar to the GM stuff that uses the axle as the inner race. I have replaced many bad axles in 8.25s.

8.25" Chrysler axle bearings

Rp 6408, 8 1/4 axle saver bearing
51BA7aAaOnL._AC_SY580_.jpg

I think I used something similar to that on a ford axle once, except If I recall, I believe they had their own inner race to replace the axle as the race. This caused the rollers to be smaller in diameter on the ones I had. They worked great and eventually I forgot about the repair...until one day I had the car (Factory Five Racing Cobra) on Brainerd International Raceway, for a day of driving lessons. The bearings survived but I blew the seals out on the driver side and diff. lube was everywhere. After that, I'm a little luke warm on them but these look like they may be a little different than what I had?

Its an 8 1/4. When I changed the seals I didnt see any wear on the axles at all. I replaced the seals when I got the car about 2 years ago (4K miles).
Yes 8 1/4 bearings ride on the axle, no race. They are lubed with gear oil. It appears the "repair" bearing is sealed on both sides and would be packed with grease.
I just wonder if the rollers are .001 oversize or std. I may just go with a standard bearing and double up on the seal if there is room for it.

-
Back